Piyush Pandey is the Executive Chairman & National Creative Director Ogilvy & Mather India (its first creative head to occupy this post) and the winner of over 600 awards for advertising from all over the world. He is also Vice Chairman of O&M South Asia. Under Pandey, Oglivy & Mather has become the third largest advertising agency in India.
Born in Jaipur, India, Pandey did his schooling from the famous St. Xavier's School, Jaipur and obtained his Master's degree from St Stephen's College, Delhi. He played in Ranji Trophy, India's premier domestic cricket tourney.
He joined McAleer and Keenor's company in 1982. In 1989, he moved to the creative department in O&M, became the Creative Director (1992) and rose to become the National Creative Director and the first creative man to occupy this post(1994). He was nominated to the Board of Directors in 1995 and in 2004 he was appointed as the Executive Chairman for Ogilvy, India & South Asia. He was recently appointed as Vice-Chairman of Ogilvy Asia-Pacific.
Under his leadership, Oglivy & Mather has become the third largest advertising agency in India and Ogilvy India is ranked amongst the most creative offices in the entire Ogilvy network. In September 2006, Piyush Pandey, the Chairman and Creative Director of Ogilvy & Mather India was nominated to the Ogilvy Worldwide Board.
He acts as a mentor to creative executives from around the world via Berlin School of Creative Leadership.
Major ad campaigns and contributions
- Fevicol Ad Campaigns: These include the Cannes award winning hen and egg advertisement created by him to break the monotony of elephants being used as a medium, and others like a politician glued to his chair, a ridiculously overcrowded bus, the joint family that refuses to fall apart, the girl with a moustache or the cycle glued to jeep.
- Fevikwik Ad Campaigns: Fevikwik ad campaigns including the fishermen ad.
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Ad Campaigns: 'Kuch khaas hai' and many more.
- Vodafone Ad Campaigns: These include campaigns with the iconic characters of ZooZoo and many others.
- Asian Paints ad campaigns: ‘Har ghar kuch kehta hai’
- Campaigns for Indian Tourism : These include focused campaigns for Incredible India, Madhya Pradesh Tourism, Gujarat Tourism, and Kerala Tourism.
- Bell Bajao Ad Campaign : Cannes winning campaign asking people to halt the act of domestic violence by just interrupting it.
- The Anti-Smoking campaign for the Cancer Patients Association: 'Second-hand smoke kills'
- Rath Vanaspati (his very first campaign) – Aap ka haath aur Rath ka saath
- Kinetic Luna : Chal meri Luna campaign as his famous debut campaign.
- The Hindu : The ad replicating the functioning in the Indian Parliament is set in a classroom and urges politicians to behave properly as the youth are watching.
- He has written the Indian patriotic song Mile Sur Mera Tumhara for the National Literacy Mission of India in 1988.
- He has co-written screenplay for Hindi movie named as Bhopal Express
Awards and achievements
- He has been named the most influential man in Indian Advertising 8 years in row by The Economic Times, India's premier business newspaper.
- In 2000, the Ad Club of Mumbai voted his commercial for the adhesive brand "Fevikwik" the commercial of the century and his work on "Cadbury's" as the campaign of the century..
- He was voted Asia's Creative person of the year at the Media Asia Awards 2002.
- He is the only Indian to have won a double Gold at Cannes and a triple Grand Prize at London International Awards.
- 25 lions at Cannes by O&M India under his leadership
- Two Cannes Golds for The Anti-Smoking campaign for the Cancer Patients Association
- In 2002, he won India's first ever Silver Pencil at The One Show Awards.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, 2010 by The Advertising Agencies Association of India
He was invited as a Jury in the Clio Awards(2000), Cannes Film Festival(2002), and as the President of the Jury for Outdoor & Press and Film at the Cannes Lion International Advertising Festival(2004) which was a first for an Asian. He was also invited to be a judge at the Asia Pacific Advertising Festival Awards, 2007.
Piyush Pandey is brother of Ila Arun, a popular Indian actor, TV personality. His brother Prasoon Pandey is a renowned Indian director of advertising films. His another sister Rama Pandey is a Producer-Director and Tripti Pandey is a cultural activist in Rajasthan. His wife Nita is Vice President, client servicing at O&M.
- "Piyush Pandey, Advisory Board Member". Luxury Hues. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Piyush Pandey, cmoasia.org
- "Speaker Profiles". Advertising Agencies Association of India. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Building Brands Is Like Bringing Up Your Child, Piyush Pandey". Views Journal. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Ogilvy’s Piyush Pandey gets lifetime achievement award". Adgully Bureaur. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Profile, Berlin School of Creative Leadership, berlin-school.com
- "PIYUSH PANDEY". CMO Asia. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Piyush PANDEY". Cresta-Awards Jury Detail. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Piyush Pandey receives AAAI Lifetime Achievement Award". Campaign India. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Double shift". Times of india. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Thanda matlab Prasoon Joshi". Business Standard. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Piyush Pandey at the Internet Movie Database
- Piyush Pndey Profile, Eventfulndia
- Biography of Piyush Pandey on gomolo.in
- Official Oglivy News Document
- Business Standard: Interview with Piyush Pandey
- Brain Behind Brands by Telegraph India
- Piyush Pandey
- Piyush Pandey-Profiles by India Inc
- Silvers of the year, Piyush Pandey, 51