|Single by Eric Prydz|
|from the album Pjanoo|
|Released||August 25, 2008|
|Length||2:37 (Radio Edit)|
Ultra Records (U.S.)
|Eric Prydz singles chronology|
"Pjanoo" (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈpjɑːnʊ]) is a keyboard-based house track by the Swedish DJ and producer Eric Prydz. It has received moderate airplay amongst British radio stations, being heavily used by BBC Radio 1 in advertisements for their "Radio 1 Big Weekend" and "Weekend in Ibiza" events. The song was very successful in the United Kingdom, peaking on the UK Singles Chart at #2, and the UK Dance Chart at #1 for ten non-consecutive weeks.
Background and release
The song has been on promotional release since 17 March 2008 with Eric Prydz's own label, Pryda, with a limited number of 12" pressings available on special order. The song was released on August 25, 2008 by Ministry of Sound's Imprint Label, Data Records.
Prydz stated in an interview with BBC Radio 1 that he wrote the track in 1996. When played at a show in Stockholm, the track didn't gain any interest from the clubbers. Prydz forgot about the track until he found it in his collection at a recent show and decided to play it. A fan in the crowd filmed him playing it live and posted it on YouTube. This gained much popularity on the video site and Prydz decided to release it as a single. The Welsh drum and bass producer High Contrast has made a successful drum and bass remix of "Pjanoo" and was released by Data Records on 26 August 2008 with a track length of 7:43. The piano riff was inspired by the piano in Patrice Rushen's song "I Was Tired of Being Alone".
Formats and tracklisting
- 12" Vinyl Promo (Pryda 11)
- CD maxi
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) - 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Club Mix) - 7:31
- "Pjanoo" (High Contrast Remix) - 7:04
- "Pjanoo" (Afterlife Mix) - 5:38
- "Pjanoo" (Fred Falke Mix) - 6:24
- "Pjanoo" (Guy J Remix) - 7:43
- CD single
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) – 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Afterlife Radio Edit) – 2:50
- iTunes Single
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) – 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Dana Bergquist and Peder G Remix) – 9:03
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||22|
|Belgian (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|Belgian (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||14|
|Czech Republic (IFPI)||9|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||34|
|Hungary (Dance Top 40)||23|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||31|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Dance Chart||1|
Use in popular culture
- Used frequently as an anthem at sports events, specifically during halftime of Knicks games in Madison Square Garden.
- Heard in the nightclub in the episode "Night Out In London" of the British sitcom The Inbetweeners
- Mixed with the songs "Shout" by Tears for Fears and "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers in the video game DJ Hero
- Used in the first trailer for the video game Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony, and heard in the game on the radio station Vladivostok FM
- The Cascada song "Fever" has parts loosely based upon "Pjanoo"
- Used by the BBC in television advertisements for Sport Relief 2010
- Used by Sky Sports as the theme for their coverage of test cricket
- A sample is used in short clips of the German TV magazine Stern TV
- It was heard on an episode of British sitcom Coming of Age.
- Piano riff is used in Blank & Jones Remix of "I don't want to be a Hero" by Johnny Hates Jazz
- BBC Radio One (Friday 22nd August)
- "Eric Prydz – Pjanoo – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Pjanoo", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved March 27, 2009)
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 20092 into search.
- "Lescharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Pjanoo", in various singles charts Acharts.us (Retrieved March 27, 2009)
- "Spanishcharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo". Singles Top 60.
- "Eric Prydz – Pjanoo – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.