Alexis Nihon Plaza
|Developer||Alexis Nihon Group (REIT)|
|No. of stores and services||100+|
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||37,200 m2 (400,420 sq ft).|
|No. of floors||3|
Alexis Nihon Plaza is a 223,000 m2 (2,400,000 sq ft) complex in Downtown Montreal, Quebec (on the border with Westmount), consisting of a shopping centre, two office towers, and a residential building. The shopping mall is directly connected to the Atwater metro station, which joins the building by a short tunnel with the adjacent Dawson College, and by a longer one adjoins nearby Westmount Square.
On October 26, 1986, a major fire heavily damaged its 16-story office building and is still considered the city's biggest fire in a skyscraper. At least six stories were destroyed in the blaze. In 2002, the service de sécurité incendie de Montréal was heavily blamed for negligence and incompetence according to the Cour d'Appel du Québec. Several tenants including the federal government sued the then-owner of the building for several million dollars.
During the Dawson shooting incident on September 13, 2006, the building was fully evacuated and some workers thought there were gun shots fired in the complex. Shots did reach the building during the shooting.
Alexis Nihon Plaza, at the corner of Atwater Avenue and Ste-Catherine Street West, is accessible:
- By Metro: Green line, Atwater Station. This station directly connects to Alexis Nihon Plaza.
- By Bus: Bus lines 24, 63, 90, 104, 138, 144, 356, 360.
- By Car: A-720/Ville-Marie Expressway, Exit 2 - Atwater Avenue.
- By Bicycle: Bicycle stations levels P1 and P3 of the parking.
- By BIXI: BIXI Station De Maisonneuve Boulevard West at the corner of Atwater.
- By Taxi: Waiting area Atwater Avenue at the corner of de Maisonneuve Boulevard West.
The Stores 
The complex is directly connected to the Atwater Metro station and offers numerous services, a variety of shops and superstores, and a food court with over 25 restaurants. In the past, it housed Montreal's only downtown IKEA Store, Miracle Mart (later becoming an M-Store, a three-screen cinema operated by Cineplex Odeon and Steinberg's supermarket.
Over 100 stores, of which 6 are superstores:
- Canadian Tire
- Shopper's Drug Mart
- Sports Experts
- Target (Expected to open November 2013)
See also 
- Noel, Andre, Incendie de 1986 à la place Alexis-Nihon : La Ville a été négligente (Alexis Nihon Plaza fire of 1986 : The City of Montreal was negligent), La Presse, September 5, 2002, page A3
- Le Soleil (article from la Presse), Fusillade au Collège Dawson, "Il tirait au hasard" (He was shooting randomly), Le Soleil, Quebec City, September 14, 2006, page 3
- Myles, Brian & Bourgault-Côté, Guillaume, Montréal, ville blessé : Panique, pleurs et attente insoutenable dans les rues du centre-ville (Panic, tears and interminable wait in downtown's streets), Le Devoir, Montréal, September 14, 2006, page A3