Plainfield (NJT station)
|Address||North Avenue, between
Gavett Place and Watchung Avenue
Plainfield, New Jersey
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 59, 65, 66, 113, 114, 819, 822, and 986
(all buses except 986 on Watchung Avenue)
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; Bike Racks|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2012)||893 (average weekday)|
|Location||North Avenue, Plainfield, New Jersey|
|Area||3.5 acres (1.4 ha)|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002837|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
Plainfield is a New Jersey Transit railroad station on the Raritan Valley Line, in Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey, United States. It was the westmost station on the line with ADA accessibility, until Somerville station's new high-level platforms were opened on December 7, 2010. One of two train stations in Plainfield, this station serves the central part of the city. The ticket office and waiting area are in the south side station house (the eastbound platform).
Plainfield Station was originally built by Bradford L. Gilbert and Joseph Osgood for the Central Railroad of New Jersey in 1902. As with the rest of the CNJ, the station was subsidized by the New Jersey Department of Transportation in 1964 and absorbed into Conrail in 1976. The station is one of the two surviving CNJ stations in Plainfield (the other being Netherwood Station), whereas they community previously had five; the other three being at Grant Avenue, Clinton Avenue, and another station named Evona. The station was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984, along with Netherwood. Despite its status as an NRHP listed station, the station faced a reconstruction project in 2010, and kept its listing.
- "Raritan Valley Line Timetables". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Somerville Station: New High-Level Platforms Open Tuesday, December 7". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. December 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
Media related to Plainfield (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons
- NJT rail station information page for Plainfield
- DepartureVision real time train information for Plainfield
- Raritan Valley Line schedule
- world.nycsubway.org - NJT Raritan Line including Plainfield Station
- Raritan Valley Line (Unofficial NJTransit Homepage)
- Watchung Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Park Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Jersey train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|