|• Total||6.5 sq mi (16.7 km2)|
|• Land||6.5 sq mi (16.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,135 ft (346 m)|
|• Density||289.2/sq mi (111.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1652472|
Plainview is a city in Union County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 1,866 at the 2000 census and 2,125 at the 2010 census. It is included in the Knoxville, Tennessee Metropolitan Statistical Area. Plainview is located in the southern part of the county, south of Maynardville, the county seat.
Plainview is largest city in Union County by population.
Plainview was incorporated as a city in 1992. The city government has subsequently paved many local streets, installed street lighting, enacted zoning, provided mass recycling location and developed a walking trail.
Plainview is located at (36.176446, -83.796027).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.4 square miles (17 km2), all land.
Plainview's City Hall is on Tazewell Pike.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,866 people, 658 households, and 532 families residing in the city. The population density was 289.2 people per square mile (111.7/km²). There were 724 housing units at an average density of 112.2 per square mile (43.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.23% White, 0.05% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.05% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. [[Hispanic (U.S. Census)|Hispanic]] or Latino of any race were 0.32% of the population.
There were 658 households out of which 43.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.3% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.0% were non-families. 15.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 7.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 96.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,896, and the median income for a family was $39,444. Males had a median income of $26,505 versus $19,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,384. About 9.1% of families and 11.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.3% of those under age 18 and 11.5% of those age 65 or over.
There are no schools in Plainview. K-5 students attend Luttrell Elementary School in Luttrell. 6-8 grade students attend Horace Maynard Middle School and 9-12 grade students attend Union County High School both in Maynardville.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- State of Tennessee Municipal Technical Advisory Service website
- The History of Union County, excerpted from 1996-97 UCB & PPA Union County, Tennessee by Kathleen G. Graves; retrieved from Union County Cemeteries Association website, August 22, 2009
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Union County And Local Government Information, Union News Leader website
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.