Plandome, New York
|Plandome, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Plandome|
Village Hall on the green
U.S. Census Map
|• Mayor||M. Lloyd Williams|
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||72 ft (22 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0960668|
The Village of Plandome was incorporated in 1911. It, as well as surrounding villages Plandome Manor and Plandome Heights, derives its name from the Latin 'Planus Domus', meaning plain, or level home.
Plandome is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), of which, 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it is land and 2.00% is water.
The village has a large "green" where many events are held.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,272 people, 409 households, and 361 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,584.9 people per square mile (1,002.3/km2). There were 422 housing units at an average density of 857.6 per square mile (332.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 95.75% White, 0.24% African American, 0.08% Native American, 3.14% Asian, 0.08% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.12% of the population.
There were 409 households out of which 42.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 82.4% were married couples living together, 3.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 11.7% were non-families. 11.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.08 and the average family size was 3.34.
In the village the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 18.2% from 25 to 44, 29.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $192,073, and the median income for a family was $200,000. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $52,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $95,102. About 2.8% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
Notable residents (past and present)
- Bruce R. Bent, founder, The Reserve Fund, first money fund
- Frances Hodgson Burnett, author, The Secret Garden
- Vernon and Irene Castle (1887-1918, 1893-1969), famous and influential husband-and-wife dance team
- Bloodgood Cutter (1817–1906), poet
- Melissa Errico, Broadway actress, songwriter, singer
- Norman "Boomer" Esiason, NFL quarterback and sports broadcaster.
- Catherine Galbraith- wife of John Kenneth Galbraith
- Kenny Gardner (1913–2002), singer, Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians
- Frederick H. Haggerson (1884-1952), Former Chairman, Union Carbide and Carbon Corp.
- John J. Kenny (1906-1986), Founder, J.J. Kenny Co., Bond brokerage
- Leroy Latham (1874-1938), Chairman, Latham Lithographing Co.
- Richard B. Leather, Vice Chairman, Newmont Mining Corporation, Commodore of Manhasset Bay Yacht Club 1982-83
- John Madonia (1919-2000), Real estate developer
- Bill O'Reilly, Television host, political commentator
- Jesse J. Ricks (1879-1944), Former Chairman, Union Carbide and Carbon Corp.
- Bobby Riggs (1918–1995), tennis champion
- Erika Slezak, Daytime Emmy award-winning actress
- Genesta M. Strong (1885-1972), first woman from Nassau County to be elected to New York State Legislature (1944)
- Kenny Williams (1914–1984), television announcer, actor, radio actor
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Federal Election Commission