|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Single by The B-52's|
|from the album The B-52's|
|Released||July 6, 1979|
|The B-52's singles chronology|
"Planet Claire" is the second single released by The B-52's from their self-titled debut album The B-52's. The single was their second single to chart anywhere, at no. 43 in Australia and no. 24 on the US Hot Dance Club Play chart, along with album tracks "Rock Lobster" and "Dance This Mess Around".
All songs written and composed by The B-52's, except where noted.
|1.||"Downtown"||Tony Hatch, arranged by Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson||
- Fred Schneider – vocals, walkie-talkie
- Kate Pierson – keyboards, wailing
- Cindy Wilson – bongos
- Ricky Wilson – guitar
- Keith Strickland – drums, percussion, all other sounds
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||43|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||35|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||24|
In popular culture
Planet Claire is also the name of a rock musical encompassing songs of The B-52's. The plot involves a young girl named "Claire" who works in a dive bar called the "Love Shack." She is involved in a car crash that causes her to awake on Planet Topaz, where parallel versions of her friends back on Earth help her on a journey of self-discovery before she is returned home. It debuted in 2002 at the Maryland Ensemble Theatre in Frederick, Maryland, and was directed by Tad Janes, with costumes and choreography by Julie Herber. The musical was shown once more in 2004 at the Baltimore Theater Project, and was revived for a third time in Frederick in May 2010. The book of the musical was written by Tad Janes, Gené Fouché and Timothy King.
The instrumentals are featured in the film Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.
The DreamWorks Animation movie Monsters vs. Aliens released in 2009 contains a version of the song covered by Les Deux Love Orchestra. This version is noteworthy as Les Deux Love Orchestra contains members of Henry Mancini's original "Peter Gunn" orchestra. Mancini is listed as co-writer on the track. The credits of the film also include the original B-52's version.
Canadian thrash metal band Obliveon released a cover of "Planet Claire" on an EP in 1998.
- Mason, Stewart. "Planet Claire – Song Review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "The B-52's – Awards on Allmusic". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Charts.org.nz – The B-52's – Planet Claire". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Monger, James Christopher. "Original Soundtrack – Paul". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved June 19, 2014.