Steve Thompson 
William Howe-Lott 
Michael Robbins 
Elijah Emerson 
William Johnson 
Kevin Francis 
|Artist(s)||Steve Thompson, Ben Golus, Andrew Chistophersen, Aung Oo|
|Composer(s)||Howard Mostrom |
|Release date(s)||Alpha: June 14, 2013
Beta: September 26, 2013
Gamma: February 27, 2014
Final: Early 2014
|Distribution||Optical disc, download|
Planetary Annihilation is an upcoming real-time strategy computer game in development by Uber Entertainment. It is being developed by much of the team responsible for Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.
In interviews with PC Gamer and Joystiq, lead game developer Jon Mavor commented that the game's complexity and playtime can vary, from half-hour, 2-player battles to lengthy, 40-player matches. Planetary Annihilation features a planet-based map system, different types of planets and asteroids. Players will be able to conquer other planets and even entire systems on maps said to include "hundreds of worlds," through the Galactic War. These planets are dynamic in that they can be 'annihilated' using asteroids, a major focus for Uber Entertainment. The game's creators have also stated that Planetary Annihilation will resemble something of the 1997 RTS Total Annihilation as its focus is more towards 'macro' gameplay as opposed to 'micro' gameplay. In development updates, Mavor has commented that "a million" in-game units is a design goal of the development team. The player(s) lose when the last commander is destroyed.
Jon Mavor wrote the graphics engine for Total Annihilation. He was also the lead programmer on Supreme Commander. The game's art style is done by Steve Thompson, who previously worked on the art for Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. Voice actor John Patrick Lowrie, who did all the narrations for Total Annihilation, is doing the narrations for Planetary Annihilation as well.
According to Mavor, while game visualization began in May 2012, just three months prior to the game's public announcement, the game concept itself had been in development for approximately three years by that time. Additionally, the server and game engine technologies that would underpin the game had been in development for several years prior to the game's public reveal, with some of the server technology having already made its way into UberNet, Uber Entertainment's back-end server network.
Rather than pursue investor funding, Planetary Annihilation's developer, Uber Entertainment, chose to use the crowd-funding site Kickstarter for their financial backing. They revealed the game to the public on August 15, 2012, with their Kickstarter funding goal set at $900,000. The concept video used for the pledge campaign took approximately three months to go from initial pencil-and-paper designs to final animation.
As the campaign began, pledges came in quickly, reaching $450,000 by the fifth day of the campaign. On August 22, Uber Entertainment announced the first set of "stretch goals" for the Kickstarter campaign, that is, additional features for the game that would be included or "unlocked" by exceeding the funding goal. As the campaign progressed, additional goals were revealed, with the goals eventually including naval units and water planets at $1.1 million, gas giants and orbiting platforms at $1.3 million, lava and metal planets at $1.5 million, a "Galactic War" feature at $1.8 million, a full orchestral score at $2 million, and a behind-the-scenes documentary if the pledges should surpass $2.1 million.
By the fifteenth day of the Kickstarter campaign, Planetary Annihilation reached its funding goal of $900,000, and by the campaign's conclusion on September 14, 2012, Planetary Annihilation had raised approximately $2,228,000 via Kickstarter and an additional $101,000 via PayPal. As a result, all stretch goals were achieved.
Kickstarter featured Planetary Annihilation as the 11th Kickstarter project to have raised over a million dollars, using it to highlight the successes that games had been enjoying on the site.
The Beta version of the game was released on September 26, 2013. and was later opened up to all initial kickstarter backers on November 19th, 2013.  On December 6th, 2013 the official final release date was postponed, with the game expected "to be feature-complete in early 2014." 
|Official system requirements|
These are the current known specs, they are still subject to change during development.
- "Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS".
- "Re: What's the language used in the video?".
- "Change is good".
- "What's up this week? 11/1/12".
- "Uber Live Stream - November 30th, 2012".
- "Livestream #4".
- "Interview with Howard Mostrom, Audio Director and Composer for Uber Entertainment, Creator of the upcoming PC title Planetary Annihilation".
- "Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS by Uber Entertainment Inc — Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Planetary Annihilation Gamma Release". Uberent. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "Planetary Annihilation Beta release date news post". Uberent. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Planetary Annihilation interview [Updated with Kickstarter link". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Hinkle, David (2012-08-15). "Planetary Annihilation, a new RTS Uber wants to get Kickstarted". Joystiq. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Twitch.tv Interview". Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- Pikover, James. "Everything you need to know about Planetary Annihilation, before it completes funding". Venturebeat. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "The PA Report - When $900,000 isn’t much money: the story of Planetary Annihilation’s Kickstarter". Penny-arcade.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS by Uber Entertainment Inc :: Kicktraq". Kicktraq.com. 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- "The Year of the Game » The Kickstarter Blog — Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- Posted by Jon (2013-06-08). "Mavor's Rants: Annihilation alpha launched!". Mavorsrants.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Planetary Annihilation on Steam". Store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Brad Nicholson (2013-09-26). "Beta Begins Now". Uber Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Brad Nicholson (2013-11-19). "You're In! Come Smash Some Planets With Us, Backers!". Uber Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Brad Nicholson (2013-12-06). "Planetary Annihilation Now Coming When It's Done". Uber Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Garat (2014-02-18). "Build Tracking Thread: Updated When It Is!". Uber Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- Official website
- Official wiki
- Alma mater – Kickstarter. Jon Mavor: «I just don’t see how you make a great large scale RTS on a console»
- Kickstarter Campaign
- Official Steam Page
- Official Forums