|SpongeBob SquarePants character|
|First appearance||"Plankton!" (1999)|
|Created by||Stephen Hillenburg|
|Voiced by||Mr. Lawrence|
|Occupation||Owner and founder of the Chum Bucket|
Sheldon J. Plankton, or more commonly Plankton, is a fictional character and the main antagonist of the Nickelodeon animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence and first appeared in the episode "Plankton!" on July 31, 1999. Plankton was created and designed by Stephen Hillenburg. The character is also in video games and other merchandise based on the series. Mostly, he has been featured on countless toys, games, plushies, and other popular toys and games.
Role in SpongeBob SquarePants
Plankton is the nemesis, but former best friend, of Mr. Krabs. He operates the Chum Bucket, located directly across the street from Krabs' restaurant, the Krusty Krab. The restaurant primarily sells chum, considered mostly inedible by the residents of Bikini Bottom, and as a result, his restaurant is a total commercial failure. His primary goal in the series is to put Krabs out of business (thus gaining a monopoly on the restaurant business) by stealing the "Krabby Patty formula", a secret recipe used to make the Krusty Krab's flagship sandwich; however, every attempt to do so has ultimately failed. The only time he has successfully stolen it and made perfect Krabby Patties to expand his business was in the "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie", though this was short-lived. He is often stepped on while trying to leave the Krusty Krab with the formula. It has been stated that Mr. Krabs and Plankton were once best friends, but a dispute over the Krabby Patty recipe ended their friendship.
A running gag throughout the series is the fact that Plankton is much smaller than the other main characters; he is easily stepped on and/or sent flying back to the Chum Bucket with a mere flick of the finger. His small size has led to him developing a Napoleon complex, which is occasionally manifested as a desire for global domination (the most prominent illustration of this is in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie).
Plankton is married to a supercomputer named Karen (voiced by Jill Talley). She is his W.I.F.E. (both as an acronym for "Wired Integrated Female Electroencephalograph" and in the sense of a female spouse). She appears to have her own sentient mind and enjoys putting him down, though it's shown that they love each other. She sometimes gets fed up with his antics and forbids him from returning home. She tends to give Plankton most of his ideas to steal the Krabby Patty, but he usually takes them as his own ideas, and when he fails, he usually blames Karen.
Plankton has been featured in various merchandises such as plush toys. In 2006, Ty Inc.'s Beanie Babies introduced a plush toy based on the character as part of the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- Pass, Erica (2007). Hooray for Dads!. USA: Simon Spotlight. ISBN 978-1416927822.
- Writers: Aaron Springer, Dani Michaeli (July 6, 2010). "Gramma's Secret Recipe". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 7. Episode 139a.
- Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Mr. Lawrence (March 25, 2010). "One Course Meal". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 7. Episode 137a.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Tom King, Steven Banks, Richard Pursel (April 11, 2008). "Pest of the West". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 5. Episode 96.
- Writers: Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, Tim Hill (February 20, 2006). "Dunces and Dragons". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 4. Episode 66.
- Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Mike Mitchell, Steven Banks, Tim Hill (April 13, 2007). "Friend or Foe". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 5. Episode 81.
- Writers: Ennio Torresan, Jr., Erik Wiese, Mr. Lawrence (July 31, 1999). "Plankton!". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 1. Episode 3b.
- Writers: Aaron Springer, Richard Pursel (March 19, 2009). "Komputer Overload". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 6. Episode 118b.
- Writers: Jay Lender, Sam Henderson, Merriwether Williams (January 19, 2004). "Plankton's Army". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 3. Episode 58b.
- Writers: Tom King, Luke Brookshier, Tim Hill (October 14, 2005). "Enemy In-Law". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 4. Episode 67a.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Eric Shaw (March 3, 2008). "Krabby Road". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 6. Episode 101b.
- Writers: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Richard Pursel (July 18, 2009). "Chum Caverns". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 6. Episode 125b.
- "Ty Spongebob Squarepants Beanie Baby Sheldon J. Plankton". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "Sheldon J. Plankton". Ty Inc. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "TY Beanie Baby - SHELDON J PLANKTON (SpongeBob Squarepants) (9 inch)". BB Toy Store. Retrieved May 2, 2013.