Plano (Amtrak station)
|Address||101 West Main Street
Plano, IL 60545
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Passengers (2013)||6,901 8.8%|
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot
|Location||101 W. Main St., Plano, Illinois|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Eidelgeorge Reuter and Company|
|NRHP Reference #||93001238|
|Added to NRHP||November 12, 1993|
The Plano Amtrak station, also known as the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot is a train station in Plano, Illinois, United States served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system. It is one of the smallest such stops in the United States. The station was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1993.
The building currently being used as the Amtrak station in Plano, Illinois was constructed in 1913 by Eidelgeorge Reuter and Company of Aurora, Illinois. Amtrak service began here on April 30, 1972.:251-252
Currently, four Amtrak trains stop at Plano per day. These serves are the Illinois Zephyr and the Carl Sandburg. The Illinois zephyr stops in the morning (to Chicago) and in the evening (to Quincy). The Carl Sandburg stops in the morning (to Quincy) and the evening (to Chicago). The Southwest Chief and California Zephyr pass through the station but do not stop.
The Plano Amtrak station was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1993 due to its association with Plano's history of rail transportation. The history of the city of Plano is tied to the railroad, the Kendall County city grew around the tracks unlike its neighbors of Yorkville, and Oswego. The Amtrak station at Plano is one of the smallest stops in the United States. The movie, "Witless Protection" was filmed in Plano, using the train station as the Police Headquarters in the movie. The station was also featured in the 2013 Superman movie, "Man of Steel", which was filmed in Plano. The station was used as the Village Hall for Superman's hometown of Smallville, Kansas.
- Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kendall County, Illinois
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Illinois" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot," (PDF), National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, HAARGIS Database, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. Retrieved 17 May 2007.
- Sanders, Craig (2006). Amtrak in the Heartland. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-34705-X. OCLC 61499942.
- "Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot," Property Information Report, HAARGIS Database, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. Retrieved 17 May 2007.
Media related to Plano (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Plano, IL
- Plano Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Plano (PLO)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)