Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time
|Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time|
|Series||Plants vs. Zombies|
|Engine||PopCap Games Framework|
AU July 9, 2013
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time is a 2013 free-to-play tower defense video game developed by PopCap Games and published by Electronic Arts and is the sequel to Plants vs. Zombies. The game was released worldwide on Apple App Store on August 15, 2013 and Google Play on October 23, 2013.
In August 2012, PopCap announced that they were working on a sequel to their previous game, Plants vs. Zombies, and that it would include "new features, settings, and situations". In a later announcement, the company confirmed that the new game would be released on July 18, 2013. On June 26, 2013, PopCap announced on their Twitter page that the game would release later than previously announced. On July 9, the game was released in Australia and New Zealand on the iOS App Store and came out worldwide on August 15, 2013. The Android version was released worldwide on October 23, 2013.
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time is a free-to-play game, unlike its predecessor, supports in-app purchasing of coins in order to utilise certain power ups abilities. However, players are able to complete the whole game without purchasing these abilities. Players can optionally start with a tutorial on the basics of the game. This takes place in the player's house. After the tutorial, or immediately if the player chose to skip it, the player time-travels first to Ancient Egypt and can use keys either purchased or won in-game to unlock Pirate Seas, Wild West, Far Future and the Dark Ages.
The player receives a bottle of hot sauce which Crazy Dave, the players neighbour, adds to his taco. Crazy Dave is determined to eat exactly the same taco again, so he uses a sentient time machine in the form of an RV, called Penny, to travel back in time to have the taco again. Due to a malfunction, he arrives in Ancient Egypt. Worsening matters is the fact that the zombies, led by Dr. Zomboss, have returned, this time with the hope of creating an alternate timeline where zombies are the dominant species. The player must then defeat zombies there-Each chapter is 25 "days" or levels long, followed by the Pirate Seas, Wild West, the Far Future and the Dark Ages levels, which can be completed in any order.
The game was first expected to launch on iOS on July 18, 2013. On June 26, it was announced that the game was delayed until later in the summer on the game's official Twitter account. The game soft launched in Australian and New Zealand App Store's on July 9, to test server capacity. It launched worldwide on iOS on August 15 and in five days topped the free app charts in 137 countries. On September 12, PopCap Games soft launched the game for Android in China in Baidu AppSearch and announced that it would be coming to Google Play worldwide later in the year. On October 2, the game soft launched on the Australian and New Zealand Google Play stores.
The game received mostly positive feedback from users and critics, despite the use of in-app purchases. It has a Metacritic score of 86/100 based on 36 reviews. PopCap Games announced at Gamescom on August 20, 2013, that the game had been downloaded 15 million times, making it the most successful EA mobile game launch. Ten days later it was announced that the game had been downloaded 25 million times, exceeding the lifetime downloads of the first game.
Apple chose Plants vs. Zombies 2 as a runner-up for 2013 iPhone game of the year.
- O'Connor, Alice (August 20, 2012). "Plants vs. Zombies 2 announced for 2013". Shacknews. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Truta, Filip (May 7, 2013). "Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launch Date Confirmed". Softpedia. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Timmy Feng (July 9, 2013). "Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launches". AppsGoer. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Clover, Juli (August 14, 2013). "Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15". macrumors. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "PopCap finally releases Plants vs Zombies 2, no really it is out now for everyone". DroidGamers. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Twitter / PlantsvsZombies: Plants vs. Zombies 2, originally. Twitter.com. Retrieved on October 9, 2013.
- Plants vs Zombies 2 Android version gets soft launch. GamesRadar (October 3, 2013). Retrieved on October 9, 2013.
- "Plants vs Zombies 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Plants vs. Zombies 2: Big Numbers". PopCap Games. Electronic Arts. August 30, 2013. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (December 17, 2013). "Apple names Ridiculous Fishing, Badland its 2013 games of the year". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved December 17, 2013.