Plasan Sand Cat
|Plasan Sand Cat|
A Plasan Sand Cat armored vehicle, based on a shortened Ford F-350 platform.
|Place of origin||State of Israel|
|Used by||See Operators|
|Wars||War in Afghanistan
Mexican Drug War
|Armor||Variable level armor kits|
|Remote weapon station (optional)|
|Engine||6.0 L Power Stroke diesel V8
|Transmission||5-speed 5R110W automatic|
The Sand Cat (Hebrew: פלסן קרקל, also Plasan Caracal) is a composite armored vehicle designed by Plasan of Israel. It is based on a commercial Ford F-Series chassis shortened to a 2.84 m (112 in) wheelbase by Ford Qualified Vehicle Modifier, Manning Equipment of Louisville, Kentucky, United States. Originally designed as a potential replacement for the AIL Storm jeeps of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), they have since developed numerous versions of the vehicle from 4 to 6 tons to transport up to 8 soldiers. Examples have undergone trials by the IDF in Israel and the U.S. Army at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.
A heavily armored version of the Sand Cat featuring ceramic body parts was presented to the U.S. military at the Platform System Demonstrator event in August 2006. At the 2008 Eurosatory, the Sand Cat was shown branded as an Oshkosh Corporation product.
The Sand Cat was first shown publicly as the Caracal at the AUSA show in October 2005. It has since been presented at various shows including the 2005 Milipol law enforcement show in Paris, the 2006 Mid-America Trucking Show, and 2006 Eurosatory under the name "Sand Cat".
The design was described by Israeli car magazine Hegeh as being "as sexy as a female air-force commander". The trapezoid shaped side windows are designed to reduce the weight of transparent armor without adversely affecting the field of vision.
The fully armored body utilises a combination of armored steel, ceramics, and composites to provide a field replaceable modular armor package at various threat levels. The Sand Cat is reported to have excellent handling and acceleration for an armored vehicle. The interior can accommodate an open stretcher.
Sand Cat Plus 
In July 2007 Plasan released information about a new version of the Sand Cat, the "Sand Cat Plus". Featuring a station wagon style body and 8 seats it was designed as a low-profile vehicle for use by elite units. In contrast to the military Sand Cat, the Plus is fitted with full side body mouldings and is painted in civilian colors. Despite the SUV appearance it still has a high level of armor as well as NBC and fire suppression systems. It has a very small turning circle and has been described as surprisingly quick for a 7 ton vehicle.
Oshkosh Sand Cat 
In June 2008, the Sand Cat was relaunched as a product of Oshkosh Defense. Now based on the 9-ton F550 chassis, it is being pitched to fill the gap between the armored HMMWV and the anticipated JLTV. The Oshkosh Sand Cat includes lessons learned from the MRAP series and features impact-absorbing suspended seats and a V-hull to add underbelly armor protection. In 2010 the SandCat was upgraded with twice the underbody blast protection of previous versions.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Plasan Sand Cat|
- Barrett, Rick (2010-06-16). "Oshkosh creates new patrol vehicle". JSOnline. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Nuevos Vehiculos Oshkosh Sandcat TPV para el Ejercito - Página 3". Defensamexico.activoforo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "חדשות הרכב מישראל ומהעולם, הכל על מכוניות (Hebrew)[[Category:Articles with Hebrew language external links]][[Category:Articles with Hebrew language external links]]". Motocar. Retrieved 2012-07-04. Wikilink embedded in URL title (help)
- Schoenberger, Robert (2006-10-19). "Manning plans military vehicle on Ford frames". The Courier Journal. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ""Sand cat" - All-Protected Combat Vehicle from Plasan Sasa". Defense-update.com. 2008-12-17. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "BATTLESPACE - In this issue". Battle-technology.com. 2008-12-03. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Hegeh b'Shetach, May 2006 p.38[full citation needed]
- "BATTLESPACE - Companies Directory". Battle-technology.com. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ""Sand cat" - All-Protected Combat Vehicle from Plasan Sasa". Defense-update.com. 2006-05-25. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Yedioth Ahronoth, 31 July 2007
- "פרי המלחמה - וואלה! רכב". Cars.walla.co.il. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Colombia selects the Oshkosh Sandcat - Armyrecognition.com, December 20, 2012
- "Plasan armors Sand Cats for Israel Police". Globes.co.il. 2008-12-17. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "קרקל - העידן החדש". 4x4.co.il. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "CombatirĂĄn al crimen con el â€œgato de arenaâ€? - El Universal - MĂŠxico". El Universal. 2011-02-05. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Navit Zomer (2011-02-28). "Plasan wins Mexican defense bid". Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- John Pike (2011-04-11). "Oshkosh Defense Introduces SandCat Tactical Protector Vehicle in Latin America at LAAD 2011". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2012-07-04.