Plastic arts are art forms which involve physical manipulation of a plastic medium by moulding or modeling such as sculpture or ceramics. The term has also been applied more broadly to all the visual (non-literary, non-musical) arts.
Materials for use in the plastic arts, in the narrower definition, include those that can be carved or shaped, such as stone or wood, concrete, or metal. "Plastics" meaning certain synthetic organic resins have been used ever since they were invented, but the term "plastic arts" long preceded them. The term should not be confused with Piet Mondrian's concept of "Neoplasticism".
1 : art (as sculpture or bas-relief) characterized by modeling : three-dimensional art
2 : visual art (as painting, sculpture, or film) especially as distinguished from art that is written (as poetry or music) —often used in plural
Therefore, it is safe to say that plastic arts in the narrower sense are those visual arts that involve the use of materials such as clay or plaster, that can be moulded or modulated in some way, often in three dimensions.
Plastic arts in the broader sense include:
- Conceptual art
- Glass art
- Land art
- Paper art
- The use of plastics within the arts or as an artform itself
- Fiber art
- Textile arts
- Film Photography
- New media art
Noted artists working with plastic
- Tyler Turkle - artist and filmmaker
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plastic arts.|
- "Merriam-Webster Online (entry for "plastic arts")". Merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- Barnes, A. C., The Art in Painting, 3rd ed., 1937, Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc., NY. OCLC 1572753
- Bukumirovic, D. (1998). Maga Magazinovic. Biblioteka Fatalne srpkinje knj. br. 4. Beograd: Narodna knj.
- Fazenda, M. J. (1997). Between the pictorial and the expression of ideas: the plastic arts and literature in the dance of Paula Massano. N.p.
- Gerón, C. (2000). Enciclopedia de las artes plásticas dominicanas: 1844-2000. 4th ed. Dominican Republic s.n.
|This art-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|