|Operating system||Mac OS X|
PlayOnMac is a free Microsoft Windows compatibility layer allowing the easily installation and use of numerous games and software designed to run with Microsoft Windows. PlayOnMac is based on the opensource program Wine
The software uses an online database of installers (called scripts) that are applied to different applications that need special configuration. The scripts act as installers for the desired software. If the game or software is not in the database, a manual installation can be performed but the result cannot be guaranteed. Aside from games, any other program can be installed and each one is put in a different container to prevent interference of one program with another. PlayOnMac allows users to install some of the most popular Windows applications and many games.
You don't have to own a Windows license to use PlayOnMac.
Notable supported software
PlayOnMac supports various piece of software including:
- MetaTrader 4 
- Track Mania Nation Forever 
- Internet Explorer (from version 1 to version 8) https://www.asitest.ca/oliw/Installing%20PlayOnMac%20and%20Internet%20Explorer%208.pdf
The full supported software list is available on PlayOnMac website
Software that is not officially supported may also work. You just have to double click on the setup program to make it run with PlayOnMac
- "7 Apps To Help You Run Windows Programs On Another OS". EFYTimes.
- "How to Run Windows Programs on Mac". www.tech-faq.com. Tech-FAQ. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "Create a script for PlayOnMac - Chapter 5: Wine". playonmac.com.
- "PlayOnMac". winehq.org. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "Supported software". playonmac.com. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "MetaTrader 4 on Mac OS". mql5.com. MQL5 Ltd. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "Installing PlayOnMac and Internet Explorer 8". Retrieved 2015-03-12.