Screenshot showing home section in the app on iOS.
|Developer(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Initial release||January 11, 2011|
|Stable release||2.50.8 / March 26, 2015|
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
|Size||3.9 MB (iOS)
1.5 MB (Android)
|Available in||English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish|
The PlayStation App is a PlayStation focused application for the iOS and Android mobile operating systems developed by Sony Computer Entertainment. It allows users to stay connected to the PlayStation Network from tablet and smartphones, and turns mobile devices into a second screen for the PlayStation 4.
The application allows users to view their friend list, activity feed, trophies, send and receive messages, and use their mobile device as a second screen for use with the PlayStation 4. Including,
- Purchase content from the PlayStation Store and have it download to the PS4 while you are away from home
- Send voice messages to friends online
- Watch recorded or live-streamed gameplay
- Display in-game maps on your mobile device as you play on your PS4
- Turn your smartphone or tablet into an on-screen keyboard
It also provides a news feed, in addition to being able to read and post comments on the PlayStation Blog. The application also allows users to watch embedded videos, and to share news or products on their Facebook, Twitter or email accounts.
Version 1.0 of the application was released on January 11, 2011 in Australia and Europe, and released in North America on November 14, 2013, before the launch of the PlayStation 4 in that region. Currently, the application can be used on devices running iOS 6 and above or Android 4.0 and above.
- McCormick, Rich (November 13, 2013). "Official PlayStation app now available on Android and iOS devices ahead of PS4 launch". The Verge. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Emmanuel Orssaud (December 16, 2010). "The Official PlayStation App, Coming Soon To iPhone And Android Handsets". PlayStation Blog Europe. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- Emmanuel Orssaud Europe (January 11, 2011). "The PlayStation Official App Now Available For Download". PlayStation Blog Europe. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Retrieved January 9, 2011.