Play N Trade
|Headquarters||San Clemente, California, United States|
|Number of locations||116|
|Area served||North America, Egypt, Panama|
|Key people||Ron Simpson (Founder), Jared Turner, Charles Beaupré, Roger Lloyd, Martin Tardiff|
|Products||Video games and consoles and Consumer electronics|
|Services||Buy sell trade video games, consoles and consumer electronics|
|Revenue||$25 million USD (2012)|
|Owners||Jared Turner, Jimmy Kindred|
Play N Trade is a franchisor operating in the video game and consumer electronics space, with an emphasis on video gaming lifestyle. The company, whose headquarters are in San Clemente, California, United States currently operates stores throughout the United States, Canada, Panama and Egypt and has been referred to as "the fastest-growing video game retail franchise" in the United States, and is the “ second-largest specialty video game retail in the United States”. As of January 10, 2013, Play N Trade operates 116 franchised locations globally.
Play N Trade stores sell new and used consumer electronics, including video games and consoles, Apple products, laptops, and cellular phones, and accept trade-ins of the same. Services include video game rental, parties, tournaments, events, and gaming device repairs. Play N Trade is the first video game retailer to host weekly in-store tournaments, and also hosts corporate sponsored national tournaments. Most Play N Trade stores also carry vintage games and game consoles.
In 2007, Play N Trade was ranked in the Franchise 500 and New Franchise 50 by Entrepreneur Magazine and had doubling its nationwide stores in 2006. Entrepreneur Magazine also named Play N Trade one of the top ten new franchises for 2008.
Play N Trade was founded in 2000 by (now retired) founder Ron Simpson of Colorado Springs, Colorado. The current leadership team includes executives from the automotive industry, Walt Disney Imagineering, as well as several tech entrepreneurs in the wireless industry.
- "Jim Belanger Named Senior Vice President of Franchise Development for Yakety Yak and Play N Trade". Business Wire. 2007-01-31. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- "Company". Play N Trade. 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Play N' Trade Locations". Play N Trade. 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Play N Trade Franchise Inc.". Entrepreneur.com. 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- "2007 Top New Franchises Rankings". Entrepreneur.com. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-02-05. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- "Play N Trade Makes Top 10 New Franchises List for 2008 as Ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine" (PDF) (Press release). Forbes.com. 2007-12-18. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- "Company History". Play N Trade. 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Key Leadership". Play N Trade. 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-02.