|Headquarters||Carlsbad, California, USA|
The core of Playdek's team worked together in console game development with their previous company Incinerator Studios, a subsidiary of THQ. As part of cost-cutting measures, THQ spun off Incinerator studios as an independent studio in 2009; in Chief Technology Officer Gary Weis' words, "we offered to take ourselves off their payroll and go off and make it on our own." After a transition period during which the developer was under contract with THQ to complete two projects, Incinerator launched Playdek, a company focused on developing tabletop games for mobile devices.
Playdek has collaborated with various tabletop game publishers to develop iOS versions of board and card games.
Board game conversions
Card game conversions
- Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer (2011)
- Food Fight (2012)
- Nightfall (2012)
- Summoner Wars (2012)
- Fluxx (2012)
- Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers Vs. Evil (2012)
- Tanto Cuore (2013)
As of September 2013[update], Playdek is collaborating with Yasumi Matsuno to release two games in Matsuno's new Unsung Story original property, a digital card game designed by Christophe Boelinger and a tactics-style video game, Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians.
- McWhertor, Michael (March 17, 2009). "THQ Cuts Down Big Huge Games, Lets Go Two More". Kotaku. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Faraday, Owen (17 September 2012). "Playdek Ascendant: An hour with George Rothrock and Gary Weis". Pocket Tactics. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Incinerator Announces a New Publishing Brand to Develop Mobile Tabletop Games". The Gaming Gang. August 24, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- McWhertor, Michael (Sep 19, 2013). "Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story creator Yasumi Matsuno working on new mobile tactics game". Polygon. Retrieved December 13, 2013.