Playhouse on the Square
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Playhouse on the Square|
|Address||66 South Cooper Street|
|Owned by||Circuit Playhouse Inc.|
|Opened||November 12, 1975|
Playhouse on the Square is a regional theatre company located in Memphis, Tennessee, that is currently in its 43rd season of producing a variety of musicals and plays. While it has its own resident company of professional actors, auditions are still frequently open to the public. The theater has 347 seats on two levels, an orchestra and balcony with boxes, as well as a rooftop garden, which is open during shows and rented out for private events.
Architect John Morris designed a new building for Playhouse on the Square, located across from the previous (now Circuit Playhouse) theater, in January 2010. The new building, which cost 12.5 million dollars, is connected to an office building which houses various internal theater projects, as well as headquarters for nonprofit arts organizations such as Project Green Fork, Indie Memphis, and others. Indie Memphis also uses the theater portion of Playhouse on the Square for its yearly film festival. The money to create the theater was raised through a series of campaigns, the most notable of which was the "Breaking New Ground" capital campaign, which raised most of the money needed to build the new theater.
Playhouse on the Square also operates the Circuit Playhouse, a small theater located across the street from Playhouse on the Square mainly used for smaller productions that are not predicted to draw as large crowds as those at the main theater. The theater won eight Ostrander awards for its 2011-2012 season. The Circuit Playhouse is also home to the Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory, a summer program for children who are interested in learning more about the career of acting.
- "Mission / History | Playhouse on the Square | Memphis' Professional Resident Theatre Company". Playhouse on the Square. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Sparks, Jon W. "Review: Playhouse kicks off season with an audience pleaser". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Playhouse on the Square, Breaking New Ground". Playhouseonthesquare.org. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Blank, Christopher. "Curtain rises at new Playhouse on the Square building". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- "Improving Playhouse". Memphis Daily News. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- Blank, Christopher. "Circuit Playhouse rakes in the honors at the Ostrander Awards". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory | Playhouse on the Square | Playhouse on the Square | CLASSES + WORKSHOPS". ArtsMemphis.org. Retrieved 2012-08-18.[dead link]