Playing the Building is an art installation by David Byrne, ex singer of Talking Heads, and Färgfabriken, an independent art venue in Stockholm. The concept would later be realized in New York City in parts of the Battery Maritime Building, in London in The Roundhouse, and in Minneapolis. It ran from November 5, 2012 to December 4, 2012 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at the Aria building in the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District. The concept entailed utilizing the infrastructure of these buildings and spaces as resonating bodies to create sounds. Different methods are used to produce the sounds, including hitting columns with metal rods, strapping vibrating motors to girders, and blowing air through pipes. The sounds often resemble musical instruments, including organs, flutes. As of 2012, the project has used buildings in four different locations.
- ^ Kennedy, Randy (30 May 2008). "David Byrne’s New Band, With Architectural Solos". The New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Playing the Building". DavidByrne.com. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "". "Playing the Building"
- "". "David Byrne Attends the Opening of Playing the Building"
- "". "David Byrne's Playing the Building Art Installation."
- "". "Playing the Building by David Byrne