Pleasant Creek Wildlife Management Area
|Pleasant Creek Wildlife Management Area|
|West Virginia Wildlife Management Area|
Entrance sign for Pleasant Creek WMA
|Elevation||1,215 ft (370.3 m) |
|Area||3,030 acres (1,226.2 ha) |
|Management||Wildlife Resources Section, WV Division of Natural Resources|
|Owner||WVDNR and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers|
|IUCN category||IV - Habitat/Species government Area|
|Nearest town||Philippi, West Virginia|
|Wikimedia Commons: Pleasant Creek Wildlife Management Area|
Pleasant Creek Wildlife Management Area is located near Philippi, West Virginia in Barbour and Taylor counties. Located on 3,030 acres (1,230 ha) land that varies from wetlands to steeply forested woodlands, the Pleasant Creek WMA rises to an elevation of 1,600 feet (490 m).
Hunting and fishing
Fishing in the 1,750-acre (710 ha) Tygart Lake includes largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, channel catfish, flathead catfish, crappie, bluegill, white bass, rock bass, bullhead, yellow perch, and carp. In addition, rainbow trout is stocked in the lake tailwaters.
A boat ramp is available at Tygart Lake. Doe Run Impoundment is limited to electric motors only. Forty (40) rustic camping sites for tents or trailers are available in the WMA. A 200-yard (180 m) shooting range is located at the WMA.
As of December 2011, the Pleasant Creek WMA has a 200yd shooting range with 8 covered benches. Shooters are responsible for bringing their own targets and target holders. The range is open year round to anyone who wishes to use it and is open during all daylight hours Monday through Saturday as well as from 1PM until dusk on Sundays so as not to disturb local religious activities.
- Acme Mapper 2.0, Pleasant Creek WMA, retrieved December 20, 2008
- "Pleasant Creek WMA page". West Virginia DNR website. WV Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved December 20, 2008.
- "Tygart Lake Fishing". Dam and Lakes in the Pittsburgh District. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pittsburgh District. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- West Virginia DNR District 1 Wildlife Management Areas
- West Virginia Hunting Regulations
- West Virginia Fishing Regulations