Pleasant Hills, Pennsylvania
|• Total||2.7 sq mi (7 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (7 km2)|
|• Density||3,100/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Pleasant Hills is located at (40.332219, -79.960488).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,397 people, 3,422 households, and 2,405 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,084.8 people per square mile (1,191.9/km²). There were 3,572 housing units at an average density of 1,312.2 per square mile (507.0/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.05% White, 1.31% African American, 0.05% Native American, 1.07% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.14% from other races, and 0.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.36% of the population.
There were 3,422 households out of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.3% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.7% were non-families. 26.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the borough, the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.8 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $50,289, and the median income for a family was $60,752. Males had a median income of $44,300 versus $31,881 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $25,083. About 2.5% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
Pleasant Hills is served by the West Jefferson Hills School District, which serves Jefferson Hills (formerly Jefferson Borough), West Elizabeth, and Pleasant Hills boroughs, in addition to some students in the borough of Finleyville. In 2006, the district was ranked 9th out of 106 public school districts in western Pennsylvania by the Pittsburgh Business Times. The school was also ranked 18th overall out of 501 public school districts in the state of Pennsylvania. Pleasant Hills is a thriving community that boasts low crime and high community involvement. The Pleasant Hills Volunteer Fire Company is run by Chief Todd Pritchard.
The district consists of six schools: Jefferson, McClellan, and Gill Hall elementaries, which all serve grades K-5; Pleasant Hills Middle School, which houses grades 6-8; Thomas Jefferson High School, which serves grades 9-12; and Steel Center Area VoTech, a technical/vocational education center. Each of the schools' official colors are Black and Yellow, for the PIAAL winning football team, the TJ Jaguars. Students attend one of the three elementary schools based on home address, with McClellan Elementary and Jefferson Elementary each getting about half of the Pleasant Hills-based students. As of at least 2007, the elementary schools are without a vice principal due to the promotion of the previous vice principal (Michael Turek) to the middle school.
The WJHSD web site maintains an up-to-date list of administrative staff including principals, vice principals, and central office staff.
- Bear's Retreat, a Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmark
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Pleasant Hills borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Pennsylvania". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pleasant Hills.|
- Pleasant Hills Borough website
- Pleasant Hills Volunteer Fire Company
- Pleasant Hills Community Presbyterian Church