Pleasant Plains, New Jersey
|Pleasant Plains, New Jersey|
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||3.221 sq mi (8.342 km2)|
|• Land||3.215 sq mi (8.328 km2)|
|• Water||0.006 sq mi (0.014 km2) 0.17%|
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
|Population (Census 2010)|
|• Density||286.8/sq mi (110.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||609 and 732/848|
|GNIS feature ID||02584018|
Pleasant Plains is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community located in Franklin Township, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 922. Having no distinct boundaries, a large area in the center of Franklin Township centered on the intersections of South Middlebush Road with Claremont and Suydam Roads (referred to locally as Laird's Corner) is generally considered Pleasant Plains.
Pleasant Plains CDP is located at United States Census Bureau, Pleasant Plains had a total area of 3.221 square miles (8.342 km2), of which, 3.215 square miles (8.328 km2) of it is land and 0.006 square miles (0.014 km2) of it (0.17%) is water.(40.453121,-74.576459). According to the
|Population sources: 2010|
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 922 people, 254 households, and 236 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 286.8 per square mile (110.7/km2). There were 257 housing units at an average density of 79.9 per square mile (30.8/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 40.13% (370) White, 21.80% (201) Black or African American, 0.22% (2) Native American, 33.62% (310) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 2.82% (26) from other races, and 1.41% (13) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 5.10% (47) of the population.
There were 254 households, of which 57.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 85.0% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 7.1% were non-families. 5.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 0.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.63 and the average family size was 3.73.
In the CDP, 30.4% of the population were under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 23.6% from 25 to 44, 32.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.1 years. For every 100 females there were 97.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.4 males.
Prior to the development of K. Hovnanian's Town and Country Estates in 1998, the area included little more than a collection of 18th and 19th century farms and rural lanes. Its historic rural character may be seen in an estimate from 1882 which listed the Pleasant Plains population at 46.
An icon in the area has been the early 19th century general store and blacksmith shop buildings known since the late 1800s as Laird's Brothers Hardware and Laird's Corner Store (currently closed and for sale).
Since the early 19th century (and possibly even earlier), the area featured a one-room schoolhouse known as the Pleasant Plains School. Located on the north side of Suydam Road about a half mile west of Laird's Corner, it remained in use until about 1931 when the Township started decommissioning its one-room schoolhouses in favor of larger regional schools. Moved across the road on log rollers, it was converted into a residence and used until the late 20th century when it was threatened with demolition to make way for the Town and County development. Instead, it was moved to the Township's Municipal Complex on DeMott Lane were it awaits further rehabilitation.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Pleasant Plains Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Pleasant Plains CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Somerset County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- 2006-2010 American Community Survey Geography for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3 pp. 430-432.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3 p. 430.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3 pp. 213, 430-431.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3 p. 559.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3 pp. 355, 509.