Please Look After Mom
|Please Look After Mom|
Paperback Reprint Cover
|Published||April 3, 2012 (Vintage Contemporaries)|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)|
Please Look After Mom (Hangul: 엄마를 부탁해) is a novel by South Korean author Kyung-sook Shin. It sold a million copies within 10 months of release in 2009 in South Korea, is critically acclaimed internationally and won the 2011 Man Asian Literary Prize. The novel has been adapted as a stage play and musical.
As of April 2012, the book has sold 2 million copies and the publisher has printed a 10,000-copy special edition to commemorate the achievement. The book was also chosen by Oprah to be one of her "18 Books to Watch for in April 2011 and by Amazon as one of its "Best Books of the Month: April 2011".
When sixty-nine-year-old So-Nyo is separated from her husband among the crowds of the Seoul subway station, her family begins a desperate search to find her. Yet as long-held secrets and private sorrows begin to reveal themselves, they are forced to wonder: how well did they actually know the woman they called Mom? The novel explores the loss, self-recrimination, and in some cases, self-discovery caused by the mother's disspapearance The novel also considers themes related to the self-sacrifice of mothers in general (and in Korean in particular), the relationship between memories of the past and realities of the present, and the chameleonic aspects of identity.
The style of Please Look After Mom is a bit unusual, as Julie Hunt noted in booklist, "Composed almost entirely in second-person narration, the writing is sharp, biting, and intensely moving."
- Park So-nyo - mother of four children
- Yun Hyung-chul - So-nyo's oldest son
- Yun Chi-hon - So-nyo's second daughter
- Yu-bin - Chi-hon's boyfriend
- Yun Chin Hyung-chul's daughter
- Yun Kyun - So-nyo's brother in law
- Hong Tae-hee: a director of orphanage whom she donated it
Stage Play Cast
- Jeong Hye-seon - Park Son-yo
- Sim Yang-hong - Mr Yun
- Kil Yong-woo - Young-chul
- Seo Yee-sook - Ji-yeon
- "South Korean novelist announced as first woman to win Man Asian Literary Prize" Man Asian Prize homepage 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-24
- "Please Look After Mom Sells 2 Million Copies" Chosun Ilbo. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-24
- "O Magazine". naver.com. Oprah.com. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "18 Books to Watch for in April 2011". naver.com. Amazon. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Please Look After Mom Study Guide & Plot Summary". bookrags.com. Bookrags. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Please Look After Mom Bilingual Set". hanbooks.com. Hanbooks. Retrieved 10 December 2013.