Pleasure Island Family Theme Park
The logo for the 2008 season
|Slogan||Previous: "Discover the Magic"
"Don't you wish you were here?"
Current: "Find yourself in a world of adventure"
|Location||Cleethorpes, North-East Lincolnshire, England|
|Owner||DewarSavile Enterprises Limited (Melanie Wood)|
|General Manager||Neil Ireland|
|Opened||27 May 1993|
|Operating season||13 April to 30 October|
|Previously owned by Flamingo Land Ltd|
Pleasure Island Family Theme Park is a Theme Park in Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, England. It is commonly known simply as Pleasure Island. The park opened on 27 May 1993 and was originally a subsidiary of Flamingo Land Ltd. Pleasure Island became independent of Flamingo Land in May 2010 and is now owned and operated by DewarSavile Enterprises Ltd.
Pleasure Island Family Theme Park stands on the site of the former Cleethorpes Zoo. Owned and operated by Associated Pleasure Parks, the zoo had such attractions as seals, penguins, raccoons, pelicans, chimpanzees, a whale, African elephant, tiger and an orangutan. The zoo subsequently closed in 1977. The site was sold to Pleasureworld, a division of RKF Entertainment, who announced that a new theme park would be built, as a sister park to the Pleasurewood Hills park near Lowestoft and bearing the same name. Construction began on the new theme park in the 1980s.
RKF Entertainment went into receivership during the early 1990s and construction of the park was halted. The site was sold to Robert Gibb, the managing director of Flamingo Land in Malton, North Yorkshire. When the opportunity to purchase the Cleethorpes site became available, Gibb decided to continue with the redevelopment of the site as a theme park, which became today's Pleasure Island. Construction of the park was completed by Gibb in 1992 and Pleasure Island Family Theme Park was opened on 27 May 1993. Robert Gibb's son, Gordon Gibb, later became the chief executive of the company and directly runs Flamingo Land, while his sister Vicky Gibb, and subsequently other sister Melanie Wood (formerly Gibb), took the responsibility for the management of Pleasure Island.
In 2010, Melanie Wood, completed her desire to take ownership of the park, separate from the family company. Pleasure Island is now operated by Dewarsavile Enterprises Ltd, directed by Mrs Wood. This marked the end of Pleasure Island and Flamingo Land's association and the two parks are now independent of each other.
In 2013, the farm and petting zoo including tractor ride is going to be added replacing electric monorail.
It was as a result of the most recent ownership transfer that on 14 April 2010, the Grimsby Telegraph website broke news that the park had closed. Staff had turned up for work and were given letters informing them of termination to their employment. Visitors were turned away at the gate. Later stories suggested that the closure was caused by a breakdown in negotiations about the park's ownership. Previously a sister park of Flamingo Land, negotiations were taking place to separate the two parks, with current managing director of Pleasure Island Melanie Wood taking control of the park.
The speculation about the park's future caused a great deal of concern amongst local businesses, staff and visitors, that the attraction was to close permanently.
Pleasure Island Family Theme Park reopened under its new ownership on 1 May 2010 at 10:30 am. The McCormacks Family Bar Reopened 30 April at 7 pm.
The theme park is split into 6 areas:
- Africa, themed around Africa. and is the largest area of Pleasure island holding 1/7 of the white knuckle rides.
- Kiddies Kingdom, home to the rides for especially young children.
- Morocco, themed around the country of Morocco. it also holds 3/7 of the white knuckle rides which are the Alakazam, Hydromax and the Hyper Blaster.
- Old England, themed around England in the past (possibly Tudor times), this area contains the park entrance. and is the smallest area of Pleasure Island.
- Spain, themed around Spain and is nearly as small as Old England, this area is mainly based around things other than rides as it only has 1.
- White Knuckle Valley, home to 3/7 of the white knuckle rides these being the Boomerang (a Vekoma Boomerang rollercoaster), the Pendulus and lastly, the Terror Rack.
The minimum heights are colour-coded as follows:
|Height (Meters)||Height (Colour)|
|Boomerang, Pleasure Island||Purple||1993||A standard Vekoma Boomerang taken forward and back through a Vertical Loop and a Cobra Roll.|
|Mini Mine Train||Yellow||1993||A standar vekoma mine train completes the circuit twice through drops and helixs|
|GoGator||White||1993||A mini coaster themed around Dragons.|
|Alakazam, Pleasure Island||Purple||2002||A HUSS Flyaway variant of Enterprise|
|Hydromax, Pleasure Island||Purple||2006||A Spin Doctor Ride (Booster) Possibly one of Blackpools two spin doctors moved in 2005.|
|Hyperblaster,Pleasure Island||Red||2000||A S&S Shot Tower at 90 ft|
|Obliterator||Red||2008||Moved From Flamingo Land formally known as Circulator. An Evolution Model.|
|Pendulus, Pleasure Island||Red||2003||A HUSS Frisbee Ride themed around a clock|
|Terror Rack||Red||1997||A Faribi version of A HUSS Top spin ride overall lasts longer and is 'up-side-down' longer that other rides like Ripsaw, Alton Towers|
|Furry Friends and Tractor Ride||White|
|Whirly Twirly Walzers||Yellow|
|Tommy Tinkaboo Boat Ride||Pink|
|Kiddies Roundabouts||White- Yellow|
|Falls of Fear||Blue|
- Condor. A HUSS Condor Stood on the site of Kiddies Cove, before being sold at auction.
- 1001 Nights, replaced by The Galleon.
- Dream Boat, Stood where the Hydro Max is now.
- Big Splash, A unique water ride replaced by The Falls of Fear.
- Crazy Loop, A Pinfari Double-Looping Roller Coaster that also previously operated at Flamingo Land under the same name. It is now located in Brean Leisure Park as "Shockwave".
- 4 Man Bob, A small Schwarzkopf Bobsleigh Roller Coaster which was replaced by Crazy Loop.
- Pony Rodeo, A small monorail like rollercoaster themed around riding a horse
- Masai Warriors Show, introduced during ownership by Flamingo Land as a copy of their highly successful Bongo Warriors Show (Africa)
- Bird Show, parrots, barn owls and red legged seriema performing tricks. (Spain)
- Sea Lion Show, sea lions performing tricks. (Morocco)
- Tommy Tinkaboo Musical Extravaganza. (Morocco)
- The Basil Brush Laughter Show. (Africa)
- High School Summer (Set As The Movie 'High School Musical 1 + 2) (Morocco)
Restaurants and eateries
- Food Court. (Spain)
- McCormack's Family Bar, a family themed restaurant and bar, selling Traditional British Pub meals. (Old England)
- Lakeside, selling Chilled Drinks, and Hot and Cold Snacks.
- Tommy's Kiosk and Cafe, selling Chilled Drinks, and Hot and Cold Snacks.
- Fatimas Fish & Chips, a Fish and Chip shop.
- Sinbads Ice Cream Parlour, an Ice Cream shop, selling Ice Creams, Lollies, and chilled Drinks.
- Carousel, a Snack Bar located in the Carousel building.
- Tinkaboo Sweet Shop, a sweet shop at the exit of Tommy Tinkaboo's Sweet Adventure. (Spain)
- Gift Shop. (Old England)
- Shrieksville Shop of Horrors (Africa)
- Ali Baba's Arcade. (Morocco) a Small Arcade located next to the Gravitron and next to the Spain area, it also hosts some toilets
- Kiddies' Cove. A play area for young Children including swings and a few benches etc. It is located next to the Seal Show and Century 2000
- Cleethorpes Marineland & Zoo
- Photo of Cleethorpes Zoo, Pelicans c1965 – Francis Frith
- BBC News – Reopening secures Cleethorpes theme park jobs
- Grimsby news, views & business listings from Grimsby's Community | This is Grimsby
- Theme park closed as takeover is negotiated | This is Grimsby
- www.pleasure-island.co.uk[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pleasure Island Family Theme Park.|
- Pleasure Island Official website
- Pleasure Island at Theme Park Junkies
- Pleasure Island at ARDcoasters.com
- Pleasure Island at ThemeParks-UK