A plot of Wikipedia statistics in Ploticus
|Original author(s)||Steve Grubb|
|Initial release||August 25th, 1999|
|Stable release||2.42 / May, 2013|
|Type||Data analysis, statistical package, Plotting|
Ploticus is a free, open source (GPL) program for producing plots and charts from data. It runs under Unix, Solaris, Mac OS X, Linux, and Win32 systems. Community support is customarily done through Yahoo News Groups. Bruce Byfield in Linux.COM described Ploticus as, "...a throwback to the days when Unix programs did one thing, and did it well, using a minimum of system resources."
Graph Types and Features
At the center of Ploticus lies a scripting language. Through the scripting language, "2-D graphs and... basic statistical functions" are supported. The author provides the community the ability to produce sophisticated graphs quickly using scripts previously developed, called "prefabs". New users only need to supply a minimum amount of input parameters with their data. Users can modify or create their own "prefabs" to customize their needs.
Ploticus supports the following graphing capabilities: line plots, filled line plots, category line plots, ranges sweeps, pie graphs, vertical bar graphs, horizontal bar charts, timelines, floating bar segments, bar proportions, scatter plots, heat maps (density grids), single variable distribution, error bars, curve fitting, vector plots, Venn diagrams, Venn magnitude charts, tree diagrams. Features include: scaling & axises, legends, annotations, clickmap, and mouse-over support.
Real World Uses
Ploticus can be used to provide real-world graphing usage such as:
Products Leveraging Ploticus
Ploticus is used with various other products such as:
- Semantic MediaWiki 
- EasyTimeline 
- NSF IPM (Integrated Performance Monitoring) 
- Asterisk GUI Client
- Ploticus Downloads Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Yahoo News Groups Community Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Linux.COM Ploticus Review Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Old News from Ploticus Accessed 8 February 2008.
- Ploticus Scripting Home Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Ploticus Prefabs Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Mouse Phenome Database Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Climate Trending Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Vitalnet Software Accessed 24 October 2011.
- Semantic MediaWiki Accessed 9 September 2011.
- EasyTimeline Accessed 9 September 2011.
- IPM Accessed 4 October 2011.
- astGUIclient Accessed 4 October 2011.