Plovdiv Medical University
|Medical University of Plovdiv|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Stefan Kostianev|
|Academic staff||692 |
The Medical University of Plovdiv was established in 1945 in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. It includes the Faculties of Medicine, Dental medicine, Pharmacy, Public Health, a Department of Languages and Specialized training, a Medical College and a hospital of its own with a capacity of 2000 beds. All departments, considered as indispensable for higher medical education according to modern standards, are available - theoretical, pre-clinical and clinical, as well as laboratories, clinics and other units with modern equipment for diagnostics and treatment, research activities and training of medical and dental students. The Central University Library offers the students more than 170 000 volumes in field of medicine in many languages as well as an Internet hall and a local net system (with Medline and Micromedex available). The Medical University issues its own journal called Folia Medica, which is exchanged with more than 326 specialists from over 54 countries included in Medline. Every year over 3800 Bulgarian and foreign students are trained at the Medical University - Plovdiv.
The Medical University of Plovdiv was established as a Medical Faculty of Plovdiv University in 1945. In 1950 the Faculty became an independent Medical Academy - Plovdiv. It is being renamed in 1972 to Higher Medical Institute - Plovdiv. The Faculty of Dental Medicine was established in 1974, while a Medical College was created in 1997 as a subsidiary of the Medical University of Plovdiv. The Higher Medical Institute has been renamed to Medical University of Plovdiv in 2002 after a decision by Bulgaria`s National Assembly.
The university has experienced steady growth in the last decade in various aspects. Its material base has been upgraded with the construction of a new modern building in 2005, where the Faculty of Dental Medicine is located. The new building has a floor area of 14770 m2 and is occupied with 27 clinical educational rooms, 8 seminar rooms, 2 auditoriums with a total of 273 places and more. In addition, a large auditorium complex with floor area of 2750 m2 was built in 2011 for a total of 5,5 million euro. The new building has 6 conference rooms and has been nominated for Bulgarian Building of the year in the category of Culture in 2011.
The number of foreign students in the Medical University of Plovdiv has experienced steady growth in recent years  - especially with the improvement of the university`s infrastructure and the introduction of many new programs taught in English. Moreover, foreign students may get enrolled to language courses and study in Bulgarian (which is taught for 1 year). In 2013 the prize for the Best Foreign Student in Bulgaria was awarded to a student from the Medical University of Plovdiv.
The Medical University of Plovdiv received an international recognition of its quality in 2013, where it was awarded the prize for "Best University" for its leading position in the field of education. The prize was awarded by the European Business Assembly at Oxford Summit of Leaders "Science and Education" conference in Oxford, United Kingdom.
The Medical University of Plovdiv has four faculties, one department and one Medical College:
- Faculty of Medicine. The training lasts for 6 years, and preclinical as well as clinical disciplines are involved, together with a one-year clinical rotation.
- Faculty of Dental Medicine. It provides Masters of Science in Dental medicine and offers specialization of doctors of dental medicine.
- Faculty of Pharmacy. Students in this faculty can obtain the degree of Master of Science, while taking advantage during their studies of well-equipped modern laboratories for practical training.
- Faculty of Public Health. This faculty offers Bachelor of Health Care Management, Master of Health Care Management, Master of Management of Social Activities and Public Health, Master of Public Health and Health Management, PhD programs (both part- and full time), other Post-graduate courses and specialization of medical doctors. All diplomas (both here and in the other faculties) are EU recognized.
- Department of Languages and Specialized Training. This department offers initial training in Bulgarian language for foreign students as well as Latin training. Modern European languages are taught as well (available to students in the university).
- Medical College. The Medical College offers 8 programs today.
- ForumderMedizin.com (Bulgarian)
- About the Faculty of Dental Medicine (Bulgarian)
- The Prime-Minister opened Medical University of Plovdiv`s newest building (Bulgarian)
- Auditorium Complex - Medical University of Plovdiv (Bulgarian)
- Doc. Paskalev: I am leaving 6,5 million euro to the new rector (Bulgarian)
- Our student is student of the year! (Bulgarian)
- Oxford Summit of Leaders 'Science and Education'
- Medicine Faculty
- Dental Faculty
- Pharmaceutical Faculty
- Faculty of Public Health
- Department of Languages
- Official website of Medical University – Plovdiv
- Official website of Medical College – Plovdiv
- University Directory - Medical University of Plovdiv
- Wikimapia - Medical University of Plovdiv