Plum Springs, Kentucky
|Plum Springs, Kentucky|
Location of Plum Springs, Kentucky
|Named for||a local road|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|• Land||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||525 ft (160 m)|
|• Density||1,535.0/sq mi (592.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0500975|
Plum Springs is a 6th-class city in Warren County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 447 at the time of the year 2000 U.S. Census. It is included in the Bowling Green metropolitan area. It is named for its location on Plum Springs Road (Ky. 957).
As of the census of 2000, there were 447 people, 177 households, and 138 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,535.0 people per square mile (595.1/km²). There were 182 housing units at an average density of 625.0 per square mile (242.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 85.01% White, 12.75% African American, 0.89% Asian, and 1.34% from two or more races.
There were 177 households out of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.0% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.0% were non-families. 18.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 84.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $37,014, and the median income for a family was $38,250. Males had a median income of $31,406 versus $24,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,250. About 6.8% of families and 10.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.3% of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Alfred Leland Crabb, historical novelist
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Plum Springs, Kentucky". Accessed 27 September 2013.
- "Dictionary of Places: Plum Springs". Encyclopedia of Kentucky. New York, New York: Somerset Publishers. 1987. ISBN 0-403-09981-1.
- Rennick, Robert. Kentucky Place Names, p. 239. University Press of Kentucky (Lexington), 1987. Accessed 27 September 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.