Plushophilia (from "plushie" and "-philia") is a paraphilia involving stuffed animals. Plushophiles are sometimes called plushies, although this term (plushies) can also refer to non-sexual stuffed animal enthusiasts, and to stuffed animals in general.
Plushophilia is sometimes assumed to be a practice common within furry fandom, due in part to a 2001 article by Vanity Fair that linked various members of the furry community with plushophilia. A 1998 survey of 360 members of the furry community suggested less than one percent (that is, fewer than four people) attested to being plushophiles.
Pornography and sexual activity involving animal anthropomorphism (including plushophilia and paraphilias involving fursuits and cartoon animals) is known in the furry fandom community as "yiff" (and sexual acts as "yiffing").
Anne Lawrence has proposed that sexual arousal that depends upon imagining one's self as plush or "representations of anthropomorphic animal characters in animated cartoons" be termed autoplushophilia. Paraphilic interests that involve being in another form have been referred to as erotic target location errors.
- Hill, Dave (2000-06-19), "Cuddle Time", Salon.com
- Kelleher, Kathleen (2001-06-04). "Once Seen as Taboos, Sexual Fetishes Are Gaining Acceptance". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Craig Malisow (2003-12-18). "Wild Kingdom". Houston Press. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/2001/041201/cover.html[dead link]
- Kates, Tasha. "Animal Magnetism". Citypaper.net. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Meinzer, Melissa (2006-06-29), "Animal Passions", Pittsburgh City Paper
- Gurley, George (March 2001), "Pleasures of the Fur", Vanity Fair
- "The Darken Hollow - Thoughts - Furry Sociology". Visi.com. 2002-08-01. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Who are the furries?". BBC News. 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Lawrence, A. A. (2009). Erotic target location errors: An under appreciated paraphilic dimension. The Journal of Sex Research, 46, 194-215.
- "Museum of Sex Exhibits Modified Plush Toys" at WikiFur