|Awarded for||Most voted for podcast|
|Presented by||Podcast Connect Inc.|
The People's Choice Podcast Awards, better known as the Podcast Awards, are an annual set of awards given to the best podcasts as voted by the people. Run by Todd Cochrane of Podcast Connect Inc., the Podcast Awards had over 350,000 people vote for their nominated podcasts in 2006, with nearly 1000 people attending the awards ceremony.
The initial nominations begins at a set date (November 7 for the 2010 awards) and continues for 15 days. Voters are allowed to nominate a set of shows only once, where in the past they could nominate once a day. Duplicate nominations will be thrown out, as will nominations to more than one sub-category. The entry form asks for the name of the podcast, the podcast url, your name, your email address, and comments. The email address must be valid to receive verification on the vote.
After the 15 days, Podcast Connect and 22 listeners volunteers selected in January will review all the nominations over a 7-10 day period. The podcast must be in an appropriate category, started the show prior to August 1, have more than 8 shows produced, and an RSS feed with enclosures visible on their website. A grading sheet is used in the review. The total number of nominations a podcast receives accounts for only 40% of the grading, with the quality of the website's design (15%), quality of sound (15%), quality of deliverance and show format (10%), and relevance of content (20%) also being considered.
Then the top 10 nominees in each category will be selected for the final voting slate, voting will last for 15 days (in the past, the maximum number of nominees to choice from was 5). Winners of the People's Choice and Best Produced awards cannot win any categories the following year.
Some[who?] have criticized the awards, saying they've "outlived their usefulness" after only a few years in existence charging that the awards and their nominees don't represent what people are actually listening to. Only 1 of the award winners in 2006 came from the top 100 most popular iTunes podcasts.
Categories and winners
The Podcast Awards consists of 22 categories where the winners are announced during the live streamed ceremony. The prizes awarded to winners are donation/sponsor-driven via PayPal. In 2009, they were able to award podcasters almost $3,500 in prizes, with additional website exposure through 2009-2010 of seventeen million plus hits.
- 2005 - Music/Radio: Coverville
- 2005 - Nonenglish: Annik Rubens: Schlaflos in München
- 2005 - Top Rated: Slice of SciFi
- 2005 - World News:' Kathleen Keating
- 2006 - Best Podcast directory: Apple iTunes
- "2006 People's Choice Podcast Awards (Charge for viewing)". Factiva. 2006-09-29. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Podcasters look for their own awards". CNN/Money.com. July 24, 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- Podcast Award Rules (as of October 23, 2010)
- NEUMEISTER, LARRY (August 24, 2006). "Podcast awards? Who cares?". CBS MarketWatch.[dead link]
- 2005 Podcast Award winners
- 2006 Podcast Award winners
- 2007 Podcast Award winners
- "2008 Podcast Awards Winner". Podcast Awards. Retrieved 2008-11-10.