Point Breeze, Philadelphia
|Neighborhood of Philadelphia|
|ZIP Code||19145, 19146|
|Area code(s)||Area code 215|
Point Breeze is a neighborhood in the South Philadelphia section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. It is generally bound by 25th Street to the west, Washington Avenue to the north, Broad Street to the east, and Mifflin Street to the south, although the sections between 18th Street and Broad Street are coming into their own neighborhood as Newbold. Southwest Center City lies to its north, and Passyunk Square lies to its east. Point Breeze is divided from Grays Ferry to the west by a CSX railway viaduct over 25th Street.
The George W. Childs School, David Landreth School, Marine Corps Supply Activity, Delaplaine McDaniel School, Jeremiah Nichols School, Walter George Smith School, and the former Francis M. Drexel School are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
'Point Breeze' was originally the name given to a spot on the west side of the Schuylkill River. Point Breeze Avenue then became the road that cut southwest to provide access to the spot from what was at the time Philadelphia proper. The avenue cuts diagonally through the neighborhood's rectilinear street grid.
The Point Breeze neighborhood suffered from abandonment and population decline throughout the mid 20th century. Today it is a neighborhood under revitalization from efforts steered by South Philadelphia H.O.M.E.S. Inc. and the Point Breeze Community Development Coalition Inc., in addition to such organizations as Neighbors in Action, Universal Companies, Point Breeze Business Association, Point Breeze Pioneers greening group and other prominent Philadelphia organizations.
Infrastructure and government
- Francis M. Drexel School, formerly located in Point Breeze
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Fact Sheet - Point Breeze
- "Philadelphia Neighborhoods and Place Names, L-P." City of Philadelphia. Retrieved on October 4, 2011. "East of Schuylkill River, north of Passyunk Avenue, south of Grays Ferry Avenue. "
- "Post Office Location - POINT BREEZE." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 4, 2008.
- Point Breeze Pioneers
- South Philadelphia Review
- Point Breeze Performing Arts Center
- Philadelphia City Paper - City Paper article on violence in the area
-  - City Paper article on greening efforts in the area
- Strategic Planning Services for the Point Breeze Neighborhood from the Philadelphia City Planning Commission
- Philly Skyline photos of Point Breeze
- Historic Photographs of Point Breeze, PhillyHistory.org
- pointbreezephilly.org, website dedicated to Point Breeze news and information
-  - new green development planned for Point Breeze on old Drexel School site
- National Shrine of Saint Rita of Cascia, US Catholic reliquary for Rita of Cascia