Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice
|Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice|
|Japanese||劇場版ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ キュレムVS聖剣士 ケルディオ|
|Hepburn||Gekijōban Poketto Monsutā Besuto Uisshu Kyuremu tai Seikenshi Kerudio|
|Translation||"Pocket Monsters Best Wishes! The Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo"|
|Directed by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Produced by||Takemoto Mori
|Written by||Hideki Sonoda|
|Based on||Pokémon: Black & White
by Satoshi Tajiri
|Music by||Shinji Miyazaki|
|Distributed by||Toho (Japan)
Cinedigm/Viz Media (US)
Universal Studios (UK)
|Running time||98 minutes (Japan)
74 minutes (International)
Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice, originally released in Japan as Pocket Monsters Best Wishes! The Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo (劇場版ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ キュレムVS聖剣士 ケルディオ Gekijōban Poketto Monsutā Besuto Uisshu Kyuremu tai Seikenshi Kerudio?) is a 2012 Japanese animated film and the 15th Pokémon anime movie released. The movie was released on July 14, 2012 in Japan. The movies features Kyurem, the Boundary Pokémon, as revealed during a preview shown at the end of the last movie Pokémon the Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram and White—Victini and Zekrom, as well as Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion, the titular "Sacred Swordsmen", before the introduction of the new Pokémon Keldeo. The movie also celebrates the 90th anniversary of the Japanese manga publisher Shogakukan, which published many Pokémon-related works. The film was first broadcast in English on Cartoon Network in the United States on December 8, 2012. The movie was released on DVD in the U.S. on April 2, 2013 by Viz Media. Universal released the movie on DVD in the UK on September 30, 2013.
Kyurem vs. the Sacred Swordsmen: Keldeo was first revealed during the teaser trailer after the end of the previous movies Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom and Victini and the White Hero: Reshiram (later released internationally as Pokémon the Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram and White—Victini and Zekrom.) The Japanese show Oha Suta showed a 15 minute trailer of the movie while revealing its tentative title. The January issue of CoroCoro Comic also revealed the release date of the film. In the March issue of CoroCoro Comic, the new Pokémon Keldeo, the Colt Pokémon, was introduced and its name was appended to the title of the film.
In the film poster released on February 26, 2012, Kyurem is also shown having two alternate forms. In an episode of Pokémon Smash! shown on the same day, Junichi Masuda revealed these forms alongside the announcement of the Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 games. He later posted to his Twitter account that the Pokémon were called Black Kyurem (ブラックキュレム Burakku Kyuremu?) and White Kyurem (ホワイトキュレム Howaito Kyuremu?). The July 2012 issue of CoroCoro Comic also reveals Keldeo's new form, called the Resolution form, which will play an important part in the movie.
The film poster also reveals that the film will be accompanied by a short titled Meloetta's Sparkling Recital (メロエッタのキラキラリサイタル Meroetta no Kirakira Resaitaru?, internationally as Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade), introducing another new Pokémon: Meloetta in both its Aria and Pirouette Forme.
The April issue of CoroCoro Comic reveals both Keldeo and Meloetta as Pokémon to be distributed in theaters. Players who purchase a pre-sale ticket of the movie will able to receive Keldeo in Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, or White 2 between June 23 to August 21, but Meloetta's release has not yet been announced.
The film follows Keldeo, who wishes to become a member of the Swords of Justice, but before it can Keldeo must learn the move Secret Sword so that it will become part of the group.
Later in that night, while the Swords of Justice are sleeping, Keldeo sneaks out to go to Full Court where it fights against Kyurem. Pretending to be the member of the Swords of Justice, the two challenge each other to a battle. During the battle, Kyurem breaks Keldeo's horn, causing Keldeo to become deathly afraid of it. Virizion, Terrakion, and Cobalion, who had followed Keldeo, try to stop the fight. In a fury, Kyurem transforms into White Kyurem and freezes the Swords of Justice. Much to its horror, Keldeo runs away in panic. Enraged, Kyurem starts to chase after the Colt Pokémon, announcing that their battle is not yet over.
At the train station, Ash and his friends are on board the train that will take them into the city. They stop at Windy Station and purchase some Darumaka boxed lunches before they go back to the train. An injured Keldeo ends up on the train and Ash and his friends find it. Keldeo tells them that Kyurem is following him and it is trying to escape. However, Keldeo collapses from its injuries. Kyurem arrives with its minions, several Cryogonal, still wanting to continue the fight. Iris remembers about Kyurem, having been told about it from the elder in her hometown. However, Kyurem is forced to withdraw when the train enters a tunnel.
The group takes Keldeo to Roshan City's Pokémon Center to heal it, where Nurse Joy explains about the legend of Kyurem and the Swords of Justice, the latter being heroes who protect the Pokémon from danger. Outside the Pokemon Center, Ash and his friends introduce them selves along with Pikachu and Axew. Keldeo soon spills the beans about its battle with Kyurem. Later that night, Kyurem returns again for the battle, while the group decides to get to Full Court so they so free the Swords of Justice. Iris uses a zeppelin while Cilan uses an abandoned train, tricking Kyurem into thinking that Keldeo is with each of them.
Meanwhile, Ash and Keldeo heads towards to Full Court in order to free the Swords of Justice. Ash asks Keldeo what are the Swords of Justice like. Keldeo spills the beans once more. Upon hearing that Keldeo is heading there, Kyurem heads back to Full Court to continue the battle. Keldeo becomes scared to fight, once more, so Ash and Pikachu head on their own to Full Court to free the Swords of Justice. Infuriated that they are trespassing its home, Kyurem tries to attack them, but Keldeo rescues them, gaining the courage it needs to fight. Although Keldeo reveals to Kyurem that it is not one of the Swords of Justice, Kyurem reveals that it knew all along, but it still intends to finish the battle once and for all. Keldeo then transforms into his Resolute Form and the two start to finish their battle. The transformation allows Keldeo to use Secret Sword, making Kyurem fear for power. Their battle causes Full Court to start collapsing and the ice holding the Swords of Justice breaks, freeing them in the process.
Despite its efforts, Keldeo is unable to defeat Kyurem, and Kyurem takes its win after transforming into Black Kyurem. Despite being defeated, Kyurem, the Swords of Justice and Ash and his friends praise Keldeo for finally learning the true power of the sword, which officially makes it the fourth member of the team. The group retreat when Full Court collapses while Kyurem transforms into White Kyurem to freeze everything. Outside, Ash and his friends congratulate Keldeo. Soon, Cobalion thinks that it's time to say the Swords of Justice Oath and it would like Ash and his friends to be their witnesses. Ash and friends agree. Then Keldeo switches from ordinary forme to resolute form and they all say the oath together. Greater than 1 is 2. Greater than 2 is 3. Greater than 3 is 4. When the strength of friends is combined into one, then true power and courage are created!!!
Like the previous Pokémon films and its anime series, the music is composed by Shinji Miyazaki.
The movie's theme song is titled "Memories" (メモリーズ Memorīzu?) which will be performed by the Bengali-Russian-Japanese model-turned-singer Rola. The film's director Kunihiko Yuyama thinks the song will work perfectly for the film itself after he first heard it. Rola will also voice a character in the film named Marin. The single was released on July 11, 2012. And the English ending for this movie is "It's all inside of you" written by John Loeffler and David Wolfert and is performed by Jess Turner.
|Character||Voice Actor (Japanese)||Voice Actor (English)|
|Satoshi/Ash||Rica Matsumoto||Sarah Natochenny|
|Iris||Aoi Yūki||Eileen Stevens|
|Dent/Cilan||Mamoru Miyano||Jason Griffith|
|Narrator||Unshō Ishizuka||Ken Gates|
Jessie (Musashi), James (Kojirō), and Meowth (Nyarth) make several cameo appearances in this feature but without any spoken dialogue.
- Kyurem (キュレム Kyuremu?): Known as the Boundary Pokémon, he is a dragon that was born alongside Reshiram and Zekrom, and is considered to be the strongest of the three dragons. He has the powers of both of the former two dragons, allowing himself to shift into his forms: Black Kyurem (ブラックキュレム Burakku Kyuremu?) and White Kyurem (ホワイトキュレム Howaito Kyuremu?), fully using the abilities of both Reshiram and Zekrom. His relation to the Swords of Justice and to Keldeo were somewhat unknown, although he seems viciously determined to finish the battle that Keldeo started with him, and refuses to let Keldeo flee. In the original Japanese release, Kyurem's voice is provided by Katsumi Takahashi. In the English dub, Marc Thompson provides the voice.
- Keldeo (ケルディオ Kerudio?): The Colt Pokémon and also the fourth of the Swords of Justice. Keldeo is very exceptional at using his hidden abilities like the other swordsmen, and can assume his other form called the Resolution Form. He challenges Kyurem to a battle despite Cobalion's warnings, and when Kyurem proves to be too strong, Keldeo flees, but is followed in hot pursuit by Kyurem, who is determined to finish their battle. In the original Japanese release, Keldeo is voiced by Shoko Nakagawa, while Vic Mignogna voices the character in English.
- Cobalion (コバルオン Kobaruon?): The Iron Will Pokémon and leader of the Swords of Justice. Having a calm personality, he is responsible for the group and for protecting Keldeo from Kyurem. Cobalion's Japanese voice actor is Kōichi Yamadera. His English voice actor is H.D. Quinn.
- Terrakion (テラキオン Terakion?): The Cavern Pokémon and one of the members of the Swords of Justice. He is very hotheaded but loyal towards Cobalion. Terrakion's Japanese voice actor is Hiroki Yasumoto. His English voice actor is Henry Carr.
- Virizion (ビリジオン Birijion?): The Grassland Pokémon and also a member of the Swords of Justice. She is the most rational of all the Swords of Justice. Virizion's Japanese voice actor is Takako Honda. Her English voice actor is Emily Williams.
- Malin (マリン Marin?): A young girl who sells Darumaka lunch boxes at Windy Station, along with her partner Vanillite. Malin's voice in the Japanese release is provided by the film's theme song singer Rola in a cameo role. In the English dub, Malin is voiced by Bella Hudson.
- "Japan Box Office 2012". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
- "新ポケモン「ケルディオ」発見!!". Pokemon.co.jp. Pokémon Company. February 15, 2012. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "Pokémon: Kyurem Vs. Seikenshi Film to Open in 2012". Anime News Network. December 8, 2011. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "来年の映画『キュレムVS聖剣士』が、2012年7月14日(土)全国東宝系にて公開決定！ ポスター2種類を発表！". Pokemon.co.jp. Pokémon Company. December 16, 2011. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "Pokémon: Kyurem Vs. Seikenshi Film Slated for July 14". Anime News Network. December 16, 2011. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "今年もポケモンの夏!「キュレムvs聖剣士ケルディオ 劇場版ポケットモンスターベストウィッシュ」". February 25, 2012. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- 最新作『ポケットモンスターブラック2・ホワイト2』の2匹の新ポケモンの名前ですが、、、 Junichi Masuda on Twitter. February 26, 2012. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- "Black Kyurem" and "White Kyurem" are the names of new legendary Poke'mon!! Junichi Masuda on Twitter. February 26, 2012. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- CoroCoro Comic July 2012 Issue, Shogakukan
- CoroCoro Comic, April 2012 Shogakukan
- Oha Suta. April 12, 2012. TV Tokyo.
- Official website (Japanese)
- Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice at the Internet Movie Database