Poland is one of four villages on the island of Kiritimati (Christmas Island), Kiribati. The village was named after a Polish explorer and engineer Stanisław Pełczyński who aided the villagers. He solved the problem with watering palm trees in dry season by suggesting a modified irrigating system. He helped in building it and he taught them how to use it.
Poland's population is 235 people (Census 2005), by far the smallest of the four inhabited villages on the island.
The village was named in honour of a Pole whose name was Stanisław (Stanislaus) Pełczyński. Having arrived with an American merchant vessel that was plying the copra trade at a time, when the local inhabitants were having difficulties irrigating their palm tree plantations, Stanisław helped them solve the problem. Accordingly, the village was renamed to its present-day name in his honor. Also, a church was built there and dedicated under the auspices of Saint Stanislaus, and a bay in the lagoon was named Saint Stanislaus Bay.
There is a primary school with three main teachers and 45 students.
- http://www.wupr.org/2014/01/31/winning-warsaw-polands-paternalism-hosts-unfccc-negotiations/. Missing or empty
- R. Antoszewski: "Pacyficzna Polska" (English: Pacific Poland), Kurioza naukowe/Scientific curiosities, ISSN 1176-7545; year VI; No 1033. April 2005, v.55. On the web: 2005-05-29. Titirangi, Auckland, Nowa Zelandia. Link accessed on 2007-10-04. (Polish)
- http://www.travelbit.pl/relacje/relacje.php?tom=VI&id=31 - another webpage about the village of Poland: Przez świat tom VI (Polish: Across the World volume VI). Link fails with a database error. However, id=30, id=32, etc. all work. The cited source appears to have been removed. Link accessed on 2007-10-04. (Polish)
- Wojciech Dąbrowski: "Od Kiribati do Nauru" (Polish: From Kiribati to Nauru). Link accessed on 2007-10-04. (Polish)
The 5/6 class of the Poland Primary School and the head teacher at Poland Primary School.
- Wojciech Dąbrowski: Homepage of the Polish world traveller Wojciech Dąbrowski. Link accessed on 2007-10-04. (English) (Polish)