Polat Kemboi Arıkan
|Birth name||Paul Kipkosgei Kemboi|
12 December 1990 |
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||60 kg (130 lb)|
|Coached by||Carol Santa|
|Achievements and titles|
Polat Kemboi Arıkan (born Paul Kipkosgei Kemboi on 12 December 1990 in Cheptıret, Kenya) is a Turkish long distance runner of Kenyan origin competing in the 3000 m and 5000 m events. The 1.70 m (5.6 ft) tall athlete at 60 kg (130 lb) is a member of Enkaspor in Istanbul, where he is coached by Carol Santa.
He switched allegiance to Turkey on 8 June 2011, changing his name from Paul Kipkosgei Kemboi to Polat Kemboi Arıkan. Normally, he would have to wait for two years following his naturalization to be able to internationally represent his adoptive country, it was announced in February 2012 that he had received permission from the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) to compete for Turkey starting with the 2012 World Indoor Championships in Istanbul.
Arıkan took part in the 5000 m event at the 2011 Memorial Van Damme Diamond League meeting in Brussels, Belgium setting a new Turkish national record with 13:05.98, which was held before by Mert Girmalegese with 13:26.14. This running time entitled him the participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
He is the national record holder of 3000 m and 5000 m indoor events with 7:42.49 set in 2012 at the Balkan Championships in Istanbul and with 13:12.55 at 2012 PSD Bank Meeting in Düsseldorf, Germany respectively.
He qualified for participation in the 5000 m event at the 2012 Summer Olympics. and won the 10.000m European Cup in Bilbao, making his record on this distance. At the 2013 Mediterranean Games held in Mersin, Turkey, he became gold medalist in the 10,000 m event.
- Polat Kemboi Arıkan profile at IAAF
- "Tanui ve Kemboi için onay çıktı". Birgün (in Turkish). 2 March 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Sporcular/Atletizm-Polat Kemboi Arıkan" (in Turkish). Gençlik ve Spor Bakanlığı-Türk Sporcular 2012 Londra Olimpiyatlarında. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Makori, Elias (8 August 2011). "Kenya: Turkey - Country's New Export Market". All Africa. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "'Devşirme atletlere sıcak bakmıyoruz'". Posta (in Turkish). 23 February 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "Polat Kemboi Arıkan^dan rekorla gelen Londra vizesi". Medya 73 (in Turkish). 17 September 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "Balkan Indoor Championships 2012 Men Results". TAF. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "PSD Bank Meeting 2012 Complete". EAA. 10 February 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- Ramsak, Bob (2012-06-04). Moreira and Kemboi Arikan take the European Cup 10,000m titles. IAAF. Retrieved on 10 June 2012.