|Comune di Polizzi Generosa|
|• Mayor||Salvatore Glorioso (since May 27, 2003)|
|• Total||134.33 km2 (51.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||917 m (3,009 ft)|
|Population (December 31, 2004)|
|• Density||34/km2 (87/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Gandolfo|
The site of Polizzi has traces of human presence since the 6th century BC, archaeological findings including coins from Himera, Carthaginian remains and a Hellenistic necropolis. In the 4th century it was a Carthaginian fortress occupied by mercenaries from Campania.
People with connections to Polizzi Generosa include:
- The families of Sicilian Americans such as film directors Martin Scorsese and Antonia Scarpa as well as character actor Vincent Schiavelli, came from the town. Schiavelli was also a food and cookbook writer who wrote about Polizzi Generosa and his roots in Many Beautiful Things: Stories and Recipes from Polizzi Generosa. He was also buried there when he died.
- The writer, journalist and literary critic Giuseppe Antonio Borgese originally came from the town.
- Fashion designer Domenico Dolce, one half of the Dolce & Gabbana clothing company, was born in the town.
- Catholic cardinal Mariano Rampolla was born in Polizzi Generosa.
- Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman to fly in space, was awarded honorary citizenship of Polizzi Generosa.
Hermitage of San Gandolfo
- Many beautiful things : stories and recipes from Polizzi Generosa by Vincent Schiavelli (2002 - ISBN 0-7432-1528-1)