Polk County, Nebraska
|Polk County, Nebraska|
Polk County Courthouse in Osceola
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Named for||James K. Polk|
|• Total||441 sq mi (1,142 km2)|
|• Land||439 sq mi (1,137 km2)|
|• Water||2 sq mi (5 km2), 0.43%|
|• Density||13/sq mi (5/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Polk County is represented by the prefix 41 (it had the forty-first-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- Butler County, Nebraska - (East)
- York County, Nebraska - (South)
- Hamilton County, Nebraska - (Southwest)
- Merrick County, Nebraska - (West)
- Platte County, Nebraska - (North)
|Merrick County||Butler County|
|Hamilton County||York County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,639 people, 2,259 households, and 1,570 families residing in the county. The population density was 5/km² (13/mi²). There were 2,717 housing units at an average density of 2/km² (6/mi²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.92% White, 0.02% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.41% from two or more races. 1.08% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,259 households out of which 29.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.90% were married couples living together, 4.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.50% were non-families. 27.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.10% under the age of 18, 6.00% from 18 to 24, 24.40% from 25 to 44, 23.10% from 45 to 64, and 21.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 100.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,819, and the median income for a family was $45,081. Males had a median income of $30,286 versus $19,595 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,934. About 4.40% of families and 5.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.20% of those under age 18 and 4.70% of those age 65 or over.
- Township of Canada
- Township of Clear Creek
- Township of Hackberry
- Township of Island
- Township of Osceola
- Township of Platte
- Township of Pleasant Home
- Township of Stromsburg
- Township of Valley
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
-  Retrieved on March 15, 2008.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- King, Stephen. The Stand. p. 335.