Polk County Public Schools
|Polk County School District, Florida|
|Florida, United States|
|Grades||Pre-school - 12|
Intelligent Design Controversy
In November 2007, four Polk County School Board members interviewed by The Ledger daily newspaper said they would support a resolution advising the Florida Board of Education to revise proposed science standards to include alternative theories to evolution.
Suspension of student for science experiment
In 2013 the district expelled a 16-year old girl for conducting a science experiment on high school grounds. The student was arrested and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device. Scientists posted tweets condemning the district's response. Tiffany Madison of the Washington Times argued that the district's punishment reflected American schools becoming "mindless, bureaucratic prisons".
- "Contact Us." Polk County Public Schools. Accessed October 22, 2008.
- "Majority Opposes Science Proposal". The Ledger. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Kiera Wilmot Expelled: Scientists, Teachers Outraged By Harsh Punishment For Teen's Experiment Accident." International Business Times. May 2, 2013. Retrieved on May 6, 2013.
- Madison, Tiffany. "Florida schoolgirl charged with felonies for science experiment." Washington Times. Wednesday May 1, 2013. Retrieved on May 6, 2013.
- "School Uniform & Dress Code Information." Polk County Public Schools. Accessed October 22, 2008.