|Founded||1988 (original) (Miami, Florida)|
|Founders||Larry & Stuart Harris|
|Number of locations||more than 180|
|Key people||VP FINANCE)|
|Products||Marinated chicken, grilled chicken, unique side dishes and fresh favorites such as black beans, yellow rice with vegetables, waffle fries and more.|
|Parent||Fiesta Restaurant Group|
Pollo Tropical (literally Tropical Chicken in English) is a restaurant chain specializing in the cuisine of the Caribbean. The chain has its headquarters in Kendall, Miami-Dade County, Florida. It is best known for marinated and grilled chicken and various sides including black beans and rice.
Pollo Tropical, a part of Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc., owns and operates more than 110 locations in the United States (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas) plus four licensed units located on college campuses in Florida. The company has more than 30 franchised locations in Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, and Guatemala. The first Pollo Tropical restaurant opened in 1988 in Miami, Florida. Known for its fresh, never frozen, open flame grilled chicken, Pollo Tropical served it marinated in a blend of tropical fruit juices and spices along with “made from scratch” side dishes.
Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc. owns, operates and franchises the Pollo Tropical® and Taco Cabana® restaurant brands with more than 280 company-owned and operated restaurants and more than 49 franchised restaurants in the U.S., Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Honduras, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, and Guatemala as of August 1, 2014. The brands specialize in the operation of fast-casual, ethnic restaurants that offer distinct flavors with broad appeal at a compelling value. Both brands feature made-from-scratch cooking, fresh salsa bars, drive-thru service and catering. Fiesta common stock is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol FRGI.
Pollo Tropical operates more than 150 locations in the United States (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas), Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, and Guatemala.
Within the United States, Pollo Tropical owns and operates all of its restaurants, with the exception of "institutional" locations such as airports and universities. Universities which have franchised locations include Florida International University, University of Florida, Florida State University and University of South Florida.
- "Kendall CDP, Florida." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on June 17, 2009.
- "POLLO TROPICAL SIZZLES UP HOT NEW CARIBBEAN CHICKEN FAJITAS AT AN UNBEATABLE $5.99." Pollo Tropical. May 18, 2009. Retrieved on January 9, 2010.
- Fiesta Restaurant Group website
- A peek inside Texas' first Pollo Tropical set to open Friday
- Pollo Tropical® Signs Multi-Unit Franchise Agreement in Guatemala
- "Carrols Restaurant Group, Inc. 2010 Annual Report." Carrols Restaurant Group. 38. Retrieved on February 2, 2012.
- "SOMERSET ACADEMY SHARKS TAKE A BITE AT FUNDRAISING, BENEFIT AT POLLO TROPICAL® ON APRIL 14." Pollo Tropical. April 6, 2010. Retrieved on February 2, 2012. "7300 NORTH KENDALL DRIVE, EIGHTH FLOOR MIAMI, FLORIDA 33176"
- "About Us."
- Pollo Tropical Franchise - Market Penetration
3. ^Third Quarter 2011 Earnings Statement; http://investor.carrols.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=621503