||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
29 April 1962 |
London, England, United Kingdom
|Residence||West Sussex, England|
Polly Samson (born 29 April 1962 in London, England) is a British novelist, songwriter and journalist.
Her father was Lance Samson, a newspaper editor and diplomatic correspondent for the Morning Star (died 4 February 2013) and her mother was a writer of Chinese descent, Esther Cheo Ying, who wrote a memoir, Black Country Girl in Red China, about her time serving as a Major in Mao Zedong's Red Army. Following a troubled childhood, Polly joined the publishing industry, through which she met the writer Heathcote Williams, with whom she had her first son, Charlie. Following his birth, Samson was left homeless by squatters and was taken in for a period by the journalist Cassandra Jardine.
Following their split, Samson met Pink Floyd singer and guitarist David Gilmour, whom she married in 1994 during Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour. They currently live in West Sussex. Her son Charlie was adopted by Gilmour and they have three other children: Joe, Gabriel, and Romany.
She has also written short stories for BBC Radio 4 and has had a collection published Lying in Bed (Virago 1999) and a novel, Out of the Picture (Virago 2000), as well as contributing pieces and stories to many other books and publications including Gas and Air (Bloomsbury 2003), Girls Night In (Harper Collins 2000), A Day in the Life (Black Swan 2003), and The Just When Stories (Beautiful Books 2010).
Samson is credited as a co-writer on seven of The Division Bell's 11 tracks, and, with the retrospective credit given to Clare Torry for her vocals on "The Great Gig in the Sky", she is one of only two female co-writers of any Pink Floyd songs. She also wrote lyrics for Gilmour's 2006 album, On an Island, and made a guest appearance on piano and vocals.
Samson's collection of stories, Perfect Lives, was published in November 2010 by Virago Press.
|Library resources about
|By Polly Samson|
- Lying in Bed — Virago Press Ltd, Pub: 4 May 2000. ISBN 1-86049-667-9.
- Out of the Picture — Virago Press Ltd, Pub: 5 April 2001. ISBN 1-86049-864-7.
- Perfect Lives — Virago Press Ltd, Pub: 4 November 2010. ISBN 1-86049-992-9.
- Drennan, John (11 June 2000). "Samson's delight". Irish Independent. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- Polly Samson, et al "Cassandra Jardine: your friends and colleagues will all miss you", telegraph.co.uk, 29 May 2012
- Cassandra Jardine "My fear for the Charlie I know", telegraph.co.uk, 19 July 2011
- Mabbett, Andy (2010). Pink Floyd - The Music and the Mystery. London: Omnibus,. ISBN 978-1-84938-370-7.