||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Born||16 July 1986|
She attributes her love of theatre to her father (who was chair of various arts organisations such as the Royal College of Art and Institute of Contemporary Arts), as he took her to various shows from a young age, including many at the Royal Court Theatre which would later stage her first play.
Educated at the private boarding school Wycombe Abbey and later Rugby, she spent a gap year travelling and working for the Ambassador Theatre Group and the Arcola Theatre. It was during this time that she enrolled in the Royal Court Young Writers Programme and wrote her first play.
Stenham's debut play That Face premiered at the Royal Court Theatre in London in April 2007. It was directed by Jeremy Herrin and starred Lindsay Duncan as the alcoholic mother Martha and Matt Smith as her son Henry. Stenham won the Evening Standard's 2007 Charles Wintour Award, the Critics' Circle Award for Most Promising Playwright and the 2007 Theatrical Management Association Award for Best New Play.
This is one of the most astonishing debuts I have seen in more than 30 years of theatre reviewing. Its author, Polly Stenham, a graduate of the Royal Court's Young Writers Programme, is 20 now, just 19 when she wrote a play that sent me reeling into the night... In every respect this is a remarkable and unforgettable piece of theatre.
Stenham represented the Royal Court at the 2007 Latitude Festival before That Face transferred to the Duke of York's Theatre in the West End in 2008 with largely the same cast and again under Jeremy Herrin's direction.
- No Quarter (2013) at the Royal Court Theatre directed by Jeremy Herrin
- Tusk Tusk (2009) at the Royal Court Theatre directed by Jeremy Herrin
- That Face (2007) at the Royal Court Theatre then (2008) Duke of York (2009) directed by Jeremy Herrin
- Bremner, Charles; Robertson, David, "Polly Stenham Interview, That Face West End", The Times (London)
- "That Face", Royal Court Theatre
- "Evening Standard Award Winners 2007", Evening Standard
- "Critics Circle Award 2007", West End Broadway
- "TMA Awards 2007", TMA website
- Spencer, Charles (26 April 2007), "That Face Review", Daily Telegraph (London)
- "That Face, Duke of York", Royal Court Theatre
- "Tusk Tusk", Royal Court Theatre
- Dope Girls http://www.alanbrodie.com/clients/client_pages/S/Polly_Stenham.html
- Day, Elizabeth (6 February 2011), "Cob Studio", The Guardian (London)
- "Cob Gallery", Cob Gallery Website
- Report in The Stage, 23 November 2012.
- Bremner, Charles; Robertson, David, "Polly Stenham Interview, Tusk Tusk", The Times (London)