The Polytech Choir or PK (Polyteknikkojen Kuoro in Finnish) is an academic male choir, established in 1900, that performs regularly in Finland and abroad. The majority of the choir's members are engineering students and graduate engineers from Aalto University. The activities of the choir include traditional spring and Christmas concerts, frequent recordings, and performances with leading Finnish symphony orchestras. The choir's current artistic director and conductor, since 2013, is Saara Aittakumpu.
PK's a cappella repertoire consists mainly of classical music, ranging from the Romantic era to contemporary works, and also includes occasional forays to other genres such as jazz. A centerpiece of the choir's choral symphonic repertoire has been Jean Sibelius' symphonic poem Kullervo. In addition to performances a cappella and with orchestras, the choir, its quartets and other smaller ensembles frequently perform at private, corporate and academic festivities.
The Polytech Choir has commissioned and debuted nearly 40 new works for male choir during the past 20 years, including two International Rostrum of Composers prizewinners by Jukka Tiensuu and Eero Hämeenniemi. The choir's most recent first performances have included works from the Finnish composers Riikka Talvitie, Olli Kortekangas, Mikko Sidoroff, Markku Klami, Tiina Myllärinen, Jouni Kaipainen, and Maija Hynninen and a work by the jazz pianist and composer Iiro Rantala.
- Heikki Klemetti (1900-ca. 1905)
- Martti Pitkänen (1910s)
- R.R. Ryynänen (1920s)
- Ossi Elokas (1933-1969)
- Eero Erkkilä (1969-1971)
- Heikki Saari (1971-1984)
- Tapani Länsiö (1984-2004)
- Juha Kuivanen (2004-2013)
- Saara Aittakumpu (2013-)
- Toki! (contemporary Finnish works for male voice choir composed in the 1980s) (1990)
- Matkalla - Male Voice Voyage (contemporary Finnish works for male voice choir composed in the 1990s) (1999)
- Me toivotamm' (choral works for Christmas, sol. Essi Wuorela) (2000)
- Vuodet - Polyteknikkojen kuoro 100 vuotta (works performed by the choir during its first century) (2004)
- Mies (National Romantic, 20th century and contemporary works for male voice choir) (2006)
- Kultakausi (Finnish National Romantic works for male voice choir) (2008)
- Joulu on meillä (choral works for Christmas, sol. Matti Salminen) (2009)
- Kuunteletko Sinä (contemporary Finnish works commissioned by the choir between 2007-12) (2013)
|This article about a Finnish band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|