||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
Seal of Pondicherry University
|Motto||Tamil: ஒளி பரவ
French: Vers la Lumière
|Motto in English||From Darkness, towards the Light!|
|Chancellor||Mohammad Hamid Ansari|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Mrs. Chandra Krishnamurthy|
|Location||Kalapet, Puducherry, India
|Campus||Rural, 780 acres|
Pondicherry University is a central university in Puducherry, India. Founded in 1985 by the Government of India, the university is a collegiate university with a jurisdiction spread over the Union Territories of Puducherry, Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
It has 35000 students in its 87 affiliated colleges including 27,000 students in the distance education mode. The current strength of students studying on-campus stands at 6500. It has introduced innovations like the Choice-based Credit System and on-line admission for postgraduate studies.
Establishment and role 
Teaching and research are its primary functions as in other Central Universities. It has affiliated colleges located in Pondicherry, Karaikal, Mahe, Yanam and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The Pondicherry University Act, 1985,under the central government....
Pondicherry University is located in a campus spread over 780 acres (3.2 km2), facing the Bay of Bengal on the East Coast Road. It is accessible from Chennai (168 km) and Banglore.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations 
The valedictory of the silver jubilee celebrations of Pondicherry University was held October 18, 2010. Dr. C. Rangarajan, Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India, delivered the keynote address. Lt Governor of Puducherry, Iqbal Singh, who is the Chief Rector of the University, was present at the function. Souvenirs (coffee mug and desktop calendars) for students and faculties were given out and a brochure was released to mark the event.
The university library named after Ananda Ranga Pillai was established in September 1986. It serves the students, research scholars, members of the faculty and non-teaching staff. It is open every day (9:30 am to 10:30 pm on weekdays and 9:30 am to 5:30 pm on weekly holidays).
Reprographic and photocopying facilities, e-journals access, Internet access, e-mail service and CD-ROM journals databases are provided. The library has a collection of 1,75000 books and 10000 bound back-volumes of journals. The library subscribes to 24000 E-journals and has digitized over 4000 theses. Over 472 current print journals (foreign journals: 279; Indian journals: 190) are subscribed to. The digital resources can be remotely accessed through the university library portal.
Schools, departments and centers 
Subramania Bharathi School of Tamil Language and Literature 
- Tamil Language & Literature
School of Management 
- Management Studies
- Financial Management
- Tourism Studies
- Banking Technology
- International Business
Ramanujan School of Mathematical Sciences 
School Of Engineering 
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Centre for Pollution Control & Environmental Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Geological Technology
School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences 
- Earth Sciences
The Department of Earth Sciences was started in September 1994, supported by the DST, government of India under FIST programme and National Facility programme for Isotope Geosciences and Geochronology.
The department has laboratories with equipment to cater to the needs of practical course-work of M.Sc. students as well as for research. Major facilities available in the Department are listed below: Mineralogy, Petrology & Paleontology Laboratories: students and research model polarizing microscopes with photographic facility heating-freezing stage for fluid inclusion analysis Stereoscopic zoom microscopes, X-ray powder diffractometer, isodynamic magnetic separator.
There is a geology museum with a collection of 800 rock forming minerals, ore minerals, industrial minerals, rocks and fossils. Geochemistry Laboratory: inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometer, furnace, electronic balance, spectrophotometer, flame photometer, conductivity meter, pH meter, MilliQ water purifier, Isotope Geoscience Laboratory, thermal ionization mass spectrometer with ultra-clean laboratory to carry out Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd and U-Th-Pb isotope studies.
Remote Sensing and GIS Lab:the department has a Remote sensing and GIS laboratory.
Computing and Network Facility: PCs with internet connectivity through University intranet, and online access for journals and other e-resources.
Field equipment: Global Positioning System, survey equipment, SLR and digital cameras. Geoscience Workshop: rock cutting machine, thin section preparing machine, mounting machine for polished ore blocks, ball mill and planetary mill with agate grinding sets, automatic sieve shaker.
Topographic maps and geological maps: collection of topographic maps in 1 : 50000 scale covering the southern states of India and geological maps of Indian states, districts and important mineral deposits in various scales.
It is planned to convert the department as School of Earth and Planetry Sciences from 2014 academic session.
- M.Sc. Applied Geology (2 year)
- M.Sc. Applied Geology (Five year Integrated)Integrated studies
- M. Tech. ( Mineral Exploration)
- Applied Psychology
School of Life Sciences 
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences
- Ocean Studies and Marine Biology (Port Blair)
- Coastal Disaster Management (Port Blair)
- Food Science & Technology
- Centre for Bioinformatics
School of Humanities 
- English and comparative literature
- Escande Chair in Asian Christian Studies
- Physical Education & Sports Science
School of Performing Arts 
- Performing Arts
School of Social Sciences and International Studies 
- Politics and International Studies
- Social Work
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Center for Development Studies
- Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Cooperation -Centre for South Asian Studies
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy
School of Education 
School of Medical Sciences 
School of Media & Communication 
- Library & Information Science
- Mass Communication
- Centre for Electronic Media
Madanjeet School of Green Energy Technologies 
- Centre for Green Energy Technology
- Centre for Nano Science & Technology
Central Instrumentation Facility 
The Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) was established in the university as the University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) in 1992 under the UGC Plan Scheme. It housed three facilities - Mechanical Shop, Glass blowing Shop and Electrical Shop, to provide support in the repair and servicing of scientific equipment. Fabrication of components for experimental setups is undertaken.
The USIC has executed design, development and fabrication works ranging from custom designed sample holders/cells to electronic instrumentation and control modules.
In 2005, the centre was reorganized into Central Instrumentation Facility under the School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences and analytical instruments are added to provide analytical service, in addition to the workshop facilities.
Mechanical Shop 
The Mechanical workshop is equipped with heavy duty lathe, milling machine, vertical drilling machine, welding units, sheet bending machine, shears in addition to hand tools, accessories and measuring instruments. The department has fabricated sample cells, metallic and non-metallic elements for sample handling/preparation, acrylic column stands, fume hoods, and an acid distillation unit.
Glass Blowing Shop 
The Glass Blowing Shop repairs glassware and fabricates customized glassware. It is equipped with burners, lathe, grinding machine, annealing furnace, and tools.
Electronic Shop 
The Electronic Shop has laboratory test and measuring instruments, soldering stations, and component testers, to trouble shoot faculty instruments and set them right. Electronic components are maintained in the store for quick replacement.
Assistance is provided to students in wiring and testing the circuits for their experimental or project work. Design and fabrication of instrumentation and control modules are taken up to meet customized requirements.
University halls and accommodation 
Hostel facilities are available on the campus for boys and girls. Students from distant places will be given preference on a first-come, first-served basis. The university has a hostel for foreign students that can accommodate more than 30 students. All students with income less than Rs4,00,000 get a 30% food subsidy. Girls are given rent free accommodation. All physically challenged students get free education including free board and lodge in hostels. The university provides free transport off the campus and within the campus.
Boys hostels 
- Kalidas Hostel
- Subramania Bharathiar Hostel
- Bharathidasan Hostel
- Tagore Hostel
- Kamban Hostel
- Ilangoadigal Hostel
- Valmiki Hostel
- Kannadasan Hostel
- Kabirdas Hostel
- Sarvapalli Radhakrishna Hostel
- Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Hostel
- Sir C V Raman Scholars Hostel
Girls hostels 
- Yamuna Hostel
- Cauvery Hostel
- Saraswathy Hostel
- Ganga Hostel
- Kalpana Chawla Hostel
- Madame Curie Hostel
- Foreign Students' Hostel
The hostel is used by South Asian, European and many more countries students, taking programs like PG in South Asian Studies and French, German and others.
Extracurricular activities 
P.U.Q.S.(Pondicherry University Quiz Society) 
The students have started the Pondicherry University Quiz Society (PUQS) in June, 2012. The Quiz Society will enhance the knowledge of the student community and will help in preparation for competitive exams like UPSC, Bank PO etc. The inauguration of PUQS was held on 1 August 2011 in Pondicherry University/Lecture Hall Seminar-I. The event was inaugurated by Director of Education of the Pondicherry University, Prof. M. Ramadass. The first quizmaster of the show was Nikhil Kurien Jacob. The tagline of the Quiz Society is "It's all about Quizzing."
Pondicherry University Maths Club 
The Pondicherry University Maths Club was inaugurated on in July 2011. The club encourages students to take up research in mathematics. The club activities includes seminars by students and eminent professors, mathematical workshops, quizzes, fun with mathematics, and paradoxes.
Reflections is an annual event hosted by the Department of Physics. To honour Sir C. V. Raman and his contributions to the scientific world, India celebrates February 28 as the National Science Day.
"Reflections" is the program celebrated on National Science Day to bring out the talents of young minds. It popularizes science through events, competitions and sharing of ideas.
List of affiliated colleges 
- Christ college of Engineering and Technology, Moolakulam
- Achariya Arts and Science College
- Arignar Anna Government Arts College
- Avvaiyar Government College for Women
- Bharathidasan Government College for Women
- Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam
- Divine Mother College
- Dr. S.R.K. Government Arts College
- Fostiima Business School
- Bangalore Management Academy
- Idhaya College of Arts and Science for Women
- Indira Gandhi College of Arts and Science
- Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya
- Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies
- Mahatma Gandhi Government Arts College
- Mahatma Gandhi Government College
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Government Arts College
- Rathnavel Subramaniam College of Arts and Science
- Saradha Gangadharan College
- Tagore Arts College
- Tagore Arts College(Annexe)
- United College of Arts and Science
- Villianur College for Women
- Dr.Ambedkar Government Law College
- R.V.S College of Engineering and Technology
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bharathiar College of Engineering and Technology
- Pondicherry Engineering College
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology
- Regency Institute of Technology
- Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College Hospital and Research Centre
- College of Nursing
- Kasturba Gandhi College of Nursing
- Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute
- Mother Teresa Institute of Health Sciences
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary Animal Sciences
- Regional Medical Research Institute
- Vector Control Research Centre (ICMR)
- Achariya College of Education
- Alpha College of Education
- Arutperunchothi Ramalingasamy College of Education
- Co-operative College of Education
- Don Bosco College of Education and Research Institute
- Dr. Anbu Paul College of Education
- Immaculate College of Education
- Krishnasamy College of Education for Women
- Loyola Institute of Teacher Education
- Mahe Co-operative College of Education
- Mother Teresa B.Ed. College
- Nehru College of Education
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar College of Education
- Pope John Paul II College of Education
- Regency College of Education
- Senthil College of Education
- Sree Narayana College of Education
- Tagore Government College of Education
- Vasavi College of Education
- Venkateswara College of Education
- Vivekanandha College of Education
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Engineering College
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital
- Manakula Vinayagar Institute Of Technology
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Nursing College
- Usha Latchumanan College of Education
- Venkateswara Teacher Training Institute
- Acharya College of Engineering & Technology
- Alpha College of Engineering
- Sri Ganesh College of Engineering and Technology
- Dr. S.J.S. Paul Memorial College of Engineering & Technology
- Indira Gandhi Medical College
- Sree Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences
- "Pondicherry University -About University". Pondiuni.org. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- Kavita Kishore (2011-08-22). "M.Sc. Astrophysics at Pondicherry University". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- Distance Learning and Vocational Instruction: Need, Impact and Challenges, ICDE conference paper Nov 2005 accessed at  Dec 5, 2006
- Pondicherry University launches online admission for postgraduate courses, The Hindu, Aug 21, 2006 accessed at  Dec 5, 2006
- "Library". Pondiuni.edu.in. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- "Pondicherry University Quiz Society". Puquizsociety.hpage.com. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- M. Ramadass
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Pondicherry University|