|Look up pono in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- nvs. Goodness, uprightness, morality, moral qualities, correct or proper procedure, excellence, well-being, prosperity, welfare, benefit, behalf, equity, sake, true condition or nature, duty; moral, fitting, proper, righteous, right, upright, just, virtuous, fair, beneficial, successful, in perfect order, accurate, correct, eased, relieved; should, ought, must, necessary.
- vs. Completely, properly, rightly, well, exactly, carefully, satisfactorily, much (an intensifier).
- n. Property, resources, assets, fortune, belongings, equipment, household goods, furniture, gear of any kind, possessions, accessories, necessities.
- n. Use, purpose, plan.
- n. Hope.
- vs. Careless, informal, improper, any kind of (preceding a stem).
The word has strong cultural and spiritual connotations of "a state of harmony or balance", and is the aim of the Ho'oponopono practice. Pono is often used as in affirmative prayers, especially within Kanaka Maoli healing arts and the Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement.
- Chun, Malcolm Naea. 2006. Pono: The Way of Living. University of Hawaii.
- Fuchs, Lawrence H. 1961. Hawaii Pono: A Social History. Harcourt, Brace & World.