|District of Malaysia|
|State||Johor Darul Takzim|
|• Total||907 km2 (350 sq mi)|
|• Density||61/km2 (160/sq mi)|
Pontian is a district in southwest Johor. It is located 62 km from Johor Bahru, the state capital of Johor, Malaysia. It is also located at Miles 37 (Batu 37) from Johor Bahru. The name Pontian is also used in the names of two towns in the district, Pontian Besar and Pontian Kechil, of which the latter serves as its district capital. The capital was formerly a fishing village which has developed into a small town.
Pontian is noted for its variety of seafood which is sold at a reasonable price. Visitors from neighbouring towns and Singapore regularly visit Kukup, a fishing village about 20 km from Pontian Kechil. Notable national parks in Pontian include Tanjung Piai.
Pontian Kechil is situated 1.5 hours (via bus) from Johor Bahru (Capital of Johor State) via Jalan Johor. Other notable towns in Pontian include Ayer Baloi and Benut, north of Pontian Kechil. To the south and east of Pontian Kechil respectively are the towns of Teluk Kerang and Pekan Nanas.
This town is also site as the observatory to look for the crescent moon to mark the beginning of Muslim month of Ramadhan, Shawwal, and Zulhijjah, to celebrate fasting month of Ramadhan, Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Hari Raya Aidiladha.
Pontian Kechil is subdivided into few area namely:
- Jalan Kukup - South of Main Traffic Junction heading to Kukup.
- Jalan Bakek - North of Main Traffic Junction until Sg Pontian Kechil Bridge.
- Jalan Alsagoff - North of Sg Pontian Kechil Bridge until Sg Pontian Besar Bridge.
- Jalan Johor/Batu 36 - East of Main Traffic Junction heading to Johor Bahru.
- Jalan Parit Mesjid - East of Old Police Station Junction. Another Highly Populated Area.
The name of Pontian transformed from a Malay word "Perhentian" which means a stop. Previously Pontian was a stop for both merchants and pirates. Pontian was also the landing point for Indonesian navy during Kontroversi Malaysia-Indonesia during the 1960s.
Place of interest
Seaside - There are few seaside which you can get nice sunset photograph, fun and relax
- Old Pontian seaside near Padang. A must-see photography spot for couples from the 1950s-2000s. Includes a rest-house, a helipad and a children's playground.
- Perdagangan Pontian Seaside. A land reclamation area which creates Pontian Business Centre, New Bus Station and longer sealine for Pontian. Here you can have tea and mamak food by the sea.
- Rambah Seaside; A renovated seaside located at Rambah Village. It is a wonderful seaside for couples to stargaze and enjoy at night.
- Telok Kerang seaside; Very nice seaside with a sandy beach.
- Pulau Pisang; An island with a lighthouse famous for its Kuini Fruit.
- Pasar Awam Pontian (Public Market); Famous for its fresh-from-the-sea products and vegetables. Their Pontian Black Pomfret are a must buy.
- Pineapple Plantation - Hundreds of acres of pineapples located at Ayer Baloi, Pekan Nanas and Parit Sikom. Has an endless view of pineapples. A nice place for photography. Pontian was once the largest exporter of pineapples in the world.
- Show box Karaoke - A new karaoke outlet, the first FAMILY karaoke in Pontian. A famous hub for music enthusiast
Pharmacy in Pontian
- There are 4 pharmacies operated in Pontian. Its Farmasi Pontian, Farmasi Gamma, Farmasi Radiant and Farmasi Dsafia. There are also a Guardian and a Watson's healthcare premise in the town area. There are a few 'singseh' and alternative therapies centres in Pontian. And also a bekam centre nearby to Farmasi Dsafia in Pekan Nanas, Pontian.
Getting there and away
- By Taxi- RM 60 per-taxi for a maximum of four (4) persons from Larkin Bus & Taxi Terminal
- By Bus - Maju bus number 96 runs every 15 minutes (peak period) to 30 minutes (off-peak period) from 6.30am to 10pm from Johore Bahru's Larkin Bus & Taxi Terminal to Pontian Kecil. The return bus also runs every 15 minutes (peak period) to 30 minutes (off-peak period), from 5.00am to 8.30pm. All buses make only one stop en route in both directions in the town of Pekan Nenas. The one-way fare between Larkin and Pontian Kecil is RM 5.40 and the return ticket costs RM 8.50. (no more return ticket now)
Causeway Link provides direct bus services between Singapore's Jurong East MRT station and Pontian Kecil via Gelang Patah, using the Malaysia–Singapore Second Link. The frequency from Pontian Kecil to Singapore is 6 direct buses a day and only 4 in the reverse direction. Maju runs four direct buses daily between Pontian Kecil and Kuala Lumpur's Pudu Sentral and Terminal Bersepadu Selatan.
- Driving - Follow Route (5) 40 Miles from Johor Bahru.
- Maktab Rendah Sains MARA Pontian
- SMK Dato Penggawa Barat
- SMK Sri Perhentian
- SMK Dato Ali Haji Ahmad
- SMK Ayer Baloi
- SMK Benut
- SMK Telok Kerang
- SMK Sri Kukup
- SMK Kayu Ara Pasong
- SMK Pekan Nenas
- SMK Dato' Mohd Yunos Sulaiman
- Sek Men Agama Maahad Pontian
- SMK Tan Sri Osman Mohd Sa'at
- SMK Parit Betak
- Pei Chun High School (Independent Chinese High School)
- SMK Sri Tanjung
- SMK Batu 34
- SMK Sri Bandar
- SMK Puki Ayam
- Omega International School
- SK Parit Sulaiman
- SK Parit Rambai
- SK Seri Bunian
- SK Seri Sinaran Chokoh
- SK Sungai Boh
- SK Api-Api
- SK Telok Kerang
- SK Rambah
- SK Rimba Terjun
- SK Sungai Durian
- SK Andek Mori
- SK Serkat
- SK Pekan Nanas
- SJK (C) Gau San
- SJK (C) Chien Hwa, Kampung Jawa
- SJK (C) Chi Chih, Ayer Baloi
- SK Tengku Mahmood Iskandar I & II
- SJK (C) Pei Hwa, Telok Kerang
- SK Bandar Pontian
- SJK (C) Pei Chun 1&2
- SJK (C) Tah Tong
- SK Sungai Bunyi
- SJK (C) Yu Ming 1 & 2, Pekan Nanas
- SK Parit Sapran
- SK Kayu Ara Pasong
- SK Seri Al - Ulum
- SJK (C) Cheow Min
- SK Pulai Sebatang
- SK Parit Kudus
- SK Sri Kembar
- SK Parit Markom
- SJK(C) Siu Woon
- SK penerok
- SJK(T) Parit Ibrahim
- SK Seri Pulai
1. First McDonalds located at main junction Jalan Johor, Jalan Bakek, Jalan Kukup and Pontian Business Centre
2. New Bus Station at Pontian Business Centre
1. Lian Hua Theater
3. Parkson Ria
5. Senyum Supermarket
6. Old Pasar now transformed to Billion Building
7. Little Bamboo Kids Food Court
Famous Pontian food
1. Pontian Wantan Noodle (8383,Heng Heng, Ah Chuan) - Non-halal
2. Bakuteh (Ah Hong, Agogo) - Non-halal
3. Cha Kueh (Old Pasar - Shown on TV)- Non-halal
1. Luo YiSe (Famous Malaysian Singer cum TV Host cum Artist)
2. Baki Zainal (Famous 8TV host from Kampung Api-Api )
3. Chee Chew Chan (Malaysian Woman Heavyweight Taekwondo Olympic Finalist)
4. Late Pontian Tony Leung (Charismatic and Freely character brought lots of joy and smile to all Pontianese)
5. Taekwondo Coach Koh Kheng Kiang
6. Irfan Fazail (Harimau Muda A footballer)
7. Dato Sri Kelvin Koh (Famous Structural Engineer)
8. Frankie Tan Yong Siak. (Entreprenur)
4. NCI Plastic
5. Karex - Largest Condoms Manufacturer in the a World by Volume
6. Lee Biscuit
7. Lee Pineapple
8. Pontian United
9. Pteris Global
10. Chin Wah Panasonic
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pontian (Johor).|