Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
|This article is part of a series on the|
The Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue (PCID) is a dicastery of the Roman Curia, erected by Pope Paul VI on 19 May 1964 as the Secretariat for Non-Christians, and renamed by Pope John Paul II on 28 June 1988.
Promotion of dialogue
The PCID is the central office of the Catholic Church for promoting interreligious dialogue in accordance with the spirit of the Second Vatican Council, in particular the declaration Nostra Aetate. It has the following responsibilities:
- to promote mutual understanding, respect and collaboration between Catholics and the followers of others religious traditions;
- to encourage the study of religions;
- to promote the formation of persons dedicated to dialogue.
The Pontifical Commission for Religious Relations with Muslims is affiliated with the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and the President of the Council is President also of that Pontifical Commission. Father Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot is Secretary of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue and Vice-President of the Pontifical Commission for Religious Relations with Muslims. The Secretary of the Commission for Religious Relations with Muslims is Monsignor Khaled Akashed. The Undersecretary of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue is Father Indunil Janakaratne Kodithuwakku Kankanamalage (according to the Tuesday, June 12, 2012 online news release giving biographical information and announcing his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI by VIS, Vatican Information Service, Father Kankanamalage was a member of the clergy of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Badulla in Badulla, Sri Lanka, of the Ecclesial Province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Colombo, and he served as a Professor at the Faculty of Missiology at the Pontifical Urban University at the Vatican in Rome).
The entirely separate Pontifical Commission of the Holy See for Religious Relations with the Jews reports to the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and is headed by the Cardinal President of that Pontifical Council, Kurt Koch.
The Pontifical Commission for Religious Relations with Muslims
Consultors of the Commission are:
- Fr. Cornelius Afebu Omonokhua, director of the Department for Inter-religious Dialogue of the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria;
- Fr. Amir Jaje O.P., secretary of the Episcopal Commission for Inter-religious Dialogue of the Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Iraq;
- Fr. Felix Korner S.J., professor of the theology of religions at the Pontifical Gregorian University;
- Rotraud Wielandt, professor of Islamic studies at the University of Bamberg, Germany;
- Ian Netton, vice director of Arab and Islamic studies at the University of Exeter and professor of Islamic studies at Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- Romana Bashir, head of the Christian Study Centre in Rawalpindi, Pakistan
The activities of the Council today seem focused on communicating on common values and interests to other religious believers and spiritual leaders. It welcomes visitors to Rome, it visits others, runs meetings and publishes "a bulletin, called "Pro Dialogo" three times a year, containing "significant Church texts on dialogue, articles, and news of dialogue activities throughout the world" and an Interreligious Dialogue Directory.
Importance of interfaith issues
On 11 March 2006, Pope Benedict XVI placed the PCID under the leadership of the Cardinal President of the Pontifical Council for Culture, Paul Poupard. However, as this was seen as reducing the status of interfaith affairs, Pope Benedict again gave the Council its own President in 2007.
It consists of a decision-making body, an advisory body and executive body.
Presidents of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
|#||President||Took office||Left office|
|1||Paolo Cardinal Marella||19 May 1964||26 February 1973|
|2||Sergio Cardinal Pignedoli||6 March 1973||15 June 1980|
|3||Jean Jadot||27 Jun 1980||8 April 1984|
|4||Francis Cardinal Arinze||8 April 1984||1 October 2002|
|5||Michael L. Fitzgerald||1 October 2002||15 February 2006|
|6||Paul Cardinal Poupard||11 March 2006||1 September 2007|
|7||Jean-Louis Cardinal Tauran||1 September 2007||incumbent|
- . Vatican Information Services. 21 September 2012 http://www.vis.va/vissolr/index.php?vi=all&dl=3729d8b1-e74f-01b6-cf59-505c57225078&dl_t=text/xml&dl_a=y&ul=1&ev=1. Retrieved 21 September 2012. Missing or empty