Pontrhydfendigaid shown within Ceredigion
|OS grid reference|
|- Cardiff||90 mi (140 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||YSTRAD MEURIG|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
Pontrhydfendigaid is a village in Ceredigion, Wales. It lies on the western flank of the Cambrian Mountains, and is located between Devil's Bridge and Tregaron. The village lies on the River Teifi, the source of which is just 5 km to east at Llyn Teifi.
The station at Strata Florida was positioned to serve the village.
The village is home to an annual eisteddfod and a Celtic Music Society is based at the village's Black Lion Hotel.
Pontrhydfendigaid in Fiction
The Beast of Bont
The Beast of Bont is the name given to a big cat said to roam the area, Pontrhydfendigaid being at its center (Bont being the local abbreviation/colloquial name for Pontrhydfendigaid). It was blamed for the death of 12 sheep in June of 1981. After a number of livestock attacks in the mid-1990s, Ministry of Agriculture veterinarians inspected a sheep carcass "and declared that the killer was a great deal more powerful than a fox or dog". The Dyfed-Powys police then searched the area, but failed to find the animal.
In the spring of 2012, Mark Davey and his partner Annette came across a "sickening" scene: two large groups of slaughtered sheep, about two miles apart, in the hills near Devil's Bridge. In a statement to local newspapers, he reported "that something had quite clearly attacked them because they looked like they had been ripped apart" and that "to kill so many sheep in such a small area it had to be quite a strong animal".
- Walesdirectory.co.uk - Pontrhydfendigaid
- Sheldrick, Giles (16 May 2012). "20 Sheep Found Butchered by 'Beast of Bont". The Daily Express. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Furness, Hannah (15 May 2012). "'Beast of Bont' Returns as 20 Sheep Found Massacred". The Telegraph. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Morgan, Sion (11 May 2012). "Video: Is this the clearest evidence yet that a big cat is roaming Welsh hills?". http://www.walesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Pontrhydfendigaid Community website
- Strata Florida Abbey
- BBC article about the Celtic Music Society
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Pontrhydfendigaid and surrounding area
- grid reference SN730667
|This Ceredigion location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|