Poole Borough Council
|Poole Borough Council|
|Whole council elected every four years|
Unitary authority council of Poole
|Founded||1 April 1974|
New session started
|14 May 2013 (Municipal year 2013/2014)|
Elaine Atkinson, Conservative
since 14 May 2013
since 14 May 2013
|5 May 2011|
|Civic Centre, Poole|
Poole Borough Council is the unitary authority responsible for local government in the Borough of Poole in Dorset, England. It was created on 1 April 1997 following a review by the Local Government Commission for England (1992), becoming administratively independent from Dorset County Council. Its council comprises 16 wards and 42 councillors and is controlled by a Conservative minority administration.
For local elections, 42 councillors are elected across 16 wards and elections take place every four years. The last election took place in May 2011, resulting in no overall control  The Council is made up of 21 Conservative, 18 Liberal Democrat and 3 Poole People councillors. Following these elections, a Conservative minority administration was formed  with a cabinet of seven councillors who are responsible for deciding how the Council's strategies and policies are implemented and how the budget is spent. The Council Leader is Elaine Atkinson (Conservative). The Mayor is Graham Wilson, a Liberal Democrat councillor for Newtown ward since 1996. The Sheriff, a position created by the town's charter of 1568 and just one of 15 Sheriffs in the country, is Conservative councillor Carol Evans.
|Party||Seats||Poole Borough Council 2011–2015|
|Ward||Number of seats|
|Canford Heath East||2|
|Canford Heath West||2|
|Merley and Bearwood||3|
- "History of Poole". Borough of Poole. 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "Borough of Poole - Wards". Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "Local Election Results For Poole". Borough of Poole. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- "Borough of Poole- Parties Agree On The Way Forward". Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Conservatives to run Poole as minority administration". BBC News. 13 May 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "New Cabinet And Committee Teams For Poole". Borough of Poole. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "New Council Leader For Poole". Borough of Poole. 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Introducing Poole's New Mayor". Borough of Poole. Retrieved 2011-05-10.