|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||55 percent/45 percent ♂/♀|
Poovaipalayam, also pronounced "Pooveepalayam" (population approximately 700 in 2009), is a village in Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu, India which is surrounded by mountains. It is 10 km from the nearest town (Vedasandur) and 25 km from the district headquarters (Dindigul). The villagers are primarily farmers who grow drumsticks, onions, chili peppers, peanuts, tomatoes, eggplants, beans and lentils. The villagers belong to the Gounder community.
Located at 16°52'19"N.79°33'46"E, Poovaipalayam is approximately 140 km from Hyderabad and Vijayawada,120 km from Guntur and 180 km from Warangal.
As of 2001[update] India census, Poovaipalayam had a population of 700. Men constitute 55 percent of the population and women 45%. Poovaipalayam has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; male literacy is 76 percent, and female literacy is 61 percent. In Poovaipalayam, two percent of the population is under six years of age.
Poovaipalayam does not have public transportation directly connecting the village to the outside world; the nearest public transportation is three to five km away. The village is 400 km from Chennai, 300 km from Bangalore and 100 km from Kodaikanal.
There are several Hindu temples in the area:
- Sri Poovathal Temple (god who is the village namesake)
- Sri Kannimar Temple
- Sri Ganesh Temple
- Sri Karumalai Perumal Temple (at the top of the Karumalai)
- Indian Overseas Bank Saliyur Nalroad
There is one elementary school in the village.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mirialguda
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.