|LGA(s)||South Gippsland Shire|
|State electorate(s)||Gippsland East|
The Post Office opened around January 1878.
For a town of its size, Poowong is quite well off with regard to its facilities. Facilities include four tennis courts, two netball courts, an indoor basketball stadium, a primary school, large community hall, heated swimming pool, a number of churches and an Australian rules football oval. The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Ellinbank & District Football League.
The Poowong community is quite active, with many projects being undertaken by various community groups. The largest group, by far, is the Poowong Football & Netball Club who involve themselves not only in sporting projects, but also in projects helping the wider community. One such project is the current 'My Connected Community' project which is being run by the Poowong Football Club in a partnership with the Strzelecki Lions Club, and is designed to increase Internet use amongst community members.
Notable people from Poowong
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Poowong (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Poowong Small West Gippsland dairy town" (Web). Sydney Morning Herald. February 8, 2004. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Full Points Footy. "Poowong". Retrieved 2008-07-25.[dead link]
- Callum Forbes. "Poowong [online]" (Web). Forbes Technology. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poowong, Victoria.|
|This article about a location in Gippsland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|