Pop Noir: Joe and Luke McGarry
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
Pop Noir is a Los Angeles-based indie dancerock duo formed by British-born twin brothers Joe and Luke McGarry in 2004, while they were 16-year-old students at the Orange County High School of the Arts. The band began to build a following in the indie clubs of Southern California, and did a brief tour of Europe in late 2006, showcasing at In The City in Manchester, and playing dates in London and Paris.
Pop Noir has been featured on a number of compilation CDs, including Mr. Shovel's Check One... Two, Volume III, SweetFA3 (a charity album in aid of Joe Strummer's Strummerville), and the original SweetFA compilation, which was given free as a covermount on UK music magazine Artrocker.
The track "Girls of Prey" was released exclusively on RCRDLBL in the summer of 2008, where it debuted in the Top 10, alongside Santigold, Moby and Tokyo Police Club. "Girls of Prey" is featured in the "Extreme" level of the hugely popular iPhone and iPod Touch application Tap Tap Revenge 2, which has consistently topped the download charts.
The McGarrys are the sons of cartoonist and illustrator Steve McGarry, who previously designed record sleeves for Joy Division, Slaughter and The Dogs, Jilted John and John Cooper Clarke. The brothers are award-winning designers and illustrators in their own right. In 2007, they became the youngest-ever recipients of prestigious Silver T-Square Awards from the National Cartoonists Society. Previous recipients include Milton Caniff, James Thurber, Mort Walker, Bil Keane, and two U.S. Presidents, Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Pop Noir's debut single "DIY' was released on the Fantastic Heat label on November 16, 2009, and debuted at No. 5 on the FMQB Specialty Radio charts. The video for "DIY" was Spinner.com's Video of the Day, and was voted mtvU's "Freshmen of the Week" in March 2010. "DIY" was featured on a number of TV show soundtracks, including episodes of the ABC show The Gates (TV series) and Fly Girls (TV series).
||Temptation||1. Temptation - 5:18
2. Temptation (Radio Edit) - 3:45
||DIY||1. DIY - 3:28
2. In Like a Lion - 3:28
3. DIY (DIY Not? Remix) - 3:42 (digital only)
||Girls of Prey
||1. Girls of Prey - 3:53|
-  In the City 2006 Preview, Designer Magazine
-  Shot2Bits
-  Stereogum Review and slide show, 5/15/09
-  OC Weekly slide show, 5/18/2009
-  RCRD LBL: Pop Noir backstage with Sebastien Tellier
-  The Tape Is Not Sticky, 6/10/08
-  Al Borde Magazine, 6/2/09
-  The Rock N Roll Supershow, 5/9/09
-  Strummerville.com, SWEETFA3
-  ARTROCKER 80, August 2008
-  L.A. Record, 6/12/08
-  RCRD LBL Top Ten Week of 6.15.2008
-  The Business Insider, 3/5/09
-  The Daily Cartoonist, 5/28/07
-  National Cartoonists Society, Awards
-  Rock Steady
-  FMQB SubModern Report
-  Spinner.com, 3/31/10
-  mtvU, 3/26/10
- Discogs.com: Pop Noir "Temptation" Single
- Discogs.com: Pop Noir "DIY" Single
- RCRDLBL.com: Pop Noir "Girls of Prey"