|Birth name||Andre Jay Sutherland|
|Also known as||Popcaan|
July 15, 1988 |
St Thomas, Jamaica
|Genres||Dancehall, Reggae fusion|
|Occupations||Deejay, songwriter, lyricist|
|Associated acts||Vanessa Bling, Shawn Storm, Tommy Lee Sparta|
Andre Jay Sutherland (born July 15, 1988), better known by his stagename Popcaan, is a Jamaican dancehall artist.
2007–2009: Career beginnings
In 2007 Popcaan approached Vybz Kartel at a local jam called 'My Scheme' where he recruited the young deejay to his Portmore Empire—becoming both a producer and mentor. Besides showing Poppy the ropes of the music game, Kartel took him on major shows like Sting and Reggae Sumfest.
Popcaan began making music for Adidjaheim Productions with then in-house producer NotNice, the first person to voice him professionally. He got off to a strong start with “Gal Wine” on the Gal Farm riddim, following up with hits including “It Nuh Work So,” “Jah Jah Protect Me,” “Gangsta City,” “Dream,” “Gangsta City Part Second,” and “Hot Grabba.”
Popcaan then recorded "Clarks". Although he played more of a supporting role on “Clarks”—a song whose international success caused a worldwide spike in sales of the British shoe
Since the summer of 2011 Popcaan has released a number of songs such as “Ravin" followed by "Party Shot" on T.J. Records’ Smudge Riddim and "Only Man She Want".
In 2011, Popcaan received the Excellence in Music and Entertainment (EME) Award for 'Best New Artist', and 'Collaboration of the Year' for "Clarks" with Vybz Kartel and Gaza Slim, the song also winning the award for 'Song of the Year — Dancehall'.
2012 – present
At the end January 2012 Popcaan released a new mixtape, Chromatic presents Yiy Change—the follow-up to his classic 2010 mixtape Hot Skull, Fry Yiy, Boil Brainz. In March “Only Man She Want” gave Popcaan his first Billboard entry at #89 on Billboard’s R&B/Hip Hop Charts. The song was later officially remixed by rapper Busta Rhymes. Popcaan was also featured in the newspaper ‘The New York Times' speaking to the growing impact of ‘Only Man She Want’.
At the Youth View Awards, Popcaan stepped away with three awards: ‘Favourite Summer Song’ and ‘Local Chart topping song of the year’ for “Ravin”, and of course, ‘Young, Hot and Hype Male.’
The artist has been doing extensive touring including his first solo European tour, his Canadian tour, as well as the Caribbean and South American region. While in Canada Popcaan made links with Canadian rapper Drake.
Busy in studio with producers like ZJ Chrome, TJ Records, UIM and Young Vibes, Popcaan has released more smash songs with “Fry Yiy”, “Badmind a Kill Dem”, “She A Gwaan Good”, “Coolie Gal”, “The System” and “Diss Mi Friend”.
Popcaan's debut album, Where We Come From, was released on Mixpak Records on June 10, 2014. The project was executive-produced by Dre Skull. The first single from the album, "Everything Nice", was produced by Dubbel Dutch and released on October 1, 2013. It entered the Billboard Top Reggae Albums chart at number 2.
In June 2014, Popcaan first appeared on the cover of The Fader in its 92nd issue. He featured on Melissa Steel's "Kisses for Breakfast" single, which was a top ten hit in the UK in August 2014.
- Where We Come From (2014), Mixpak
|Only Man She Want||2011||Roadblock Films|
|Party Shot||2012||Mykal Cushnie|
|Fry Yiy (viral video)||2012||Roadblock Films|
|Girls Medley||2012||Jay Will|
|So We Do It||2013||Andy Capper|
|Unruly Party||2014||E5 Records|
- "Popcaan Biography". RRR Music.
- Popcaan Music. Popcaanmusic.blogspot.com. Retrieved on July 15, 2013.
- "Official Video Vybz Kartel ft Popcaan &Gaza Slim – Clarks", Dancehall Madness, March 30, 2010
- "Kartel takes home four awards", Jamaica Observer, March 13, 2011, retrieved June 10, 2011
- Caramaninca, Jon (April 13, 2012) achata Royalty, Long-Haul Rapper, Australian Brats. New York Times
- Popcaan, Tifa win big at YVAs – Entertainment – Jamaica Star – February 7, 2012. Jamaica Star (February 7, 2012). Retrieved on July 15, 2013.
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "A New Day for Popcaan", Jamaica Observer, June 29, 2014. Retrieved June 29, 2014
- Popcaan – Everything Nice Out Now! mixpakrecords.com. October 1, 2013]
- "Cover Story: Popcaan Is Making Dancehall Nice Again". The FADER. The FADER. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart UK Top 40 - 9th August 2014", Official Charts Company, 3 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "Loving 'Popcaan's breakfast in Britain", Jamaica Observer, 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014
- Official Website
- Popcaan interview with The Jamaica Star